Audio By Carbonatix
Egypt's Finance Minister Hazem el-Beblawi, who was appointed by the ruling military council after popular protests earlier this year, has resigned, officials and media say.
Mr Beblawi, who was also deputy PM, quit over the government's handling of a Christian Coptic protest on Sunday, they said.
It ended in clashes between the army and protesters in which 25 were killed.
The ruling military council has ordered a swift inquiry into the violence.
Grievances
"Despite the fact that there might not be direct responsibility on the government's part, responsibility lies, ultimately, with the government," state news agency Mena quoted Mr Beblawi as saying.
"The current circumstances are very difficult and require a new and different way of thinking and working," he said.
His resignation came as members of the Coptic Christian community began a three-day fast to mourn those killed.
The ruling military council, which was handed the power to govern by President Hosni Mubarak before he was ousted in the popular revolt, is in temporary charge of the country while elections are organised.
The Copts, who make up about 10% of Egypt's 85 million population, have a number of grievances against the interim administration.
They say the authorities have been slow to punish radical Islamists who have attacked their churches.
Sunday's protest was sparked by the burning down of a church in the southern Aswan province last month.
About 2,000 people gathered in Cairo for an initially peaceful rally to protest against its destruction. But fighting soon broke out, involving protesters, residents and troops.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Number of jobs advertised decreased by 4% to 2,614 in 2025 – BoG
20 minutes -
Passenger arrivals at airport, land borders declined in 2025 – BoG
29 minutes -
Total revenue and grant misses target by 6.7% to GH¢187bn in 2025
29 minutes -
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
2 hours -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
2 hours -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
3 hours -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
3 hours -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
3 hours -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
4 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
4 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
4 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund strengthens institutional framework with GCB Bank strategic partnership
4 hours -
UBIDS to Complete Abandoned Projects Following GETFund Financial Clearance – Vice Chancellor
5 hours -
Nii Moi Thompson questions Anokye Frimpong’s ‘distorted history’ narratives
6 hours -
Anthony O’Neal set to receive Ghanaian citizenship, prepares to launch ‘Class on the Bus’ Initiative
6 hours
