Audio By Carbonatix
Stephen Yaw Oppong, the author of the stage play Honeymoon Hotel, has filed a legal injunction to stop further performances of the play, currently being staged at the National Theatre in Accra.
The injunction, dated 19th June 2025, was issued against Africa Arts Network (the producers), Bismark Odum-Sackey (a member of the production team), and Shirley Frimpong-Manso (the director), alleging that the defendants have infringed on the author’s rights by significantly altering the original work without his consent.
According to the legal document sighted by myjoyonline.com, Mr. Oppong is seeking a declaration that the defendants’ actions constitute an “Adaptation, Reviewing, Revising, Misrepresentation and the upcoming staging” of his original work without the requisite authorisation, which he argues is “wrongful, illegal and an infringement on his moral and economic right.”
The injunction also demands a perpetual restraining order against the defendants and all parties affiliated with them from further adaptation or staging of Honeymoon Hotel. Additionally, Mr. Oppong is seeking general damages and legal costs.
The dispute stems from an agreement made in May 2024, when the second defendant, Bismark Odum-Sackey, on behalf of the production company, contacted Mr. Oppong with a request to stage the play. According to the author and his lawyers, the original understanding was that the production would present the script in its original, unaltered form for a three-day run in June 2025.
Mr. Oppong states that, based on a previously cordial relationship with Mr. Odum-Sackey and his past contribution to the author’s earlier work, he waived any royalty fees for the production.
However, the author claims that in May 2025, he became aware of promotional material, both online and in traditional media, announcing that the play had been “adapted and directed” by Ms Frimpong-Manso. He alleges that significant changes had been made to the script, all without his knowledge or permission.
The stage play opened on Friday, 20th June 2025, and is scheduled to continue through to Sunday, 22nd June at the National Theatre.
In response, Africa Arts Network has told myjoyonline.com that they have not yet received any official letter of injunction from the writer or his legal representatives.







Latest Stories
-
GoldBod to fund rehabilitation of six water treatment plants affected by mining
4 minutes -
ORC challenges CSA cybersecurity sanction, says penalty was premature and procedurally unfair
6 minutes -
GoldBod to introduce gold traceability system by end of 2026 – Sammy Gyamfi
13 minutes -
Photos: Eleventh batch of Ghanaian evacuees arrive from South Africa
15 minutes -
GETFund explains mandate as EFPI expands partnerships to support Ghana’s education sector
19 minutes -
US$4.8bn SME financing gap exposes Ghana’s credit challenge — A call for swift implementation of open banking, open finance reforms
22 minutes -
Ghana is open to responsible mining, investment – Minerals Commission
29 minutes -
Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport
31 minutes -
GoldBod to launch digital gold platform for Ghanaians, Africans
36 minutes -
NPP will reinstate Torkornoo when we return to power – Afenyo-Markin hints
38 minutes -
We’ll establish a Gold Village in Accra next year – Sammy Gyamfi
39 minutes -
Many Canadians are boycotting the US, so this is where they’re travelling instead
43 minutes -
Mining communities must be treated as development partners and economy shareholders – Sammy Gyamfi
48 minutes -
Nearly 9 metric tonnes gold refined locally this year – Sammy Gyamfi
49 minutes -
The world’s best countries for expats in 2026
53 minutes