Aviation Minister, Cecilia Dapaah has said all residential and commercial buildings situated on Ghana Civil Aviation Authority, GCAA, lands at East Legon will be demolished.
According to her, some sensitive aviation gadgets positioned in the area cannot function effectively because of the encroachment.
“We can’t sacrifice the safety of our airspace for the interests of individuals. All buildings cited along the red lines of the encroached area will have to be pulled down,” she said.
“We will be serving them with court orders after which the necessary steps will be taken,” she revealed this in an interview with JoyBusiness during a working visit to the area to assess the level of encroachment on designated lands belonging to the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority.
According to the GCAA, all residential and commercial buildings cited along these encroached lands pose a grave threat to the Very High-Frequency Omni Directional Radio Range (VOR) equipment which sends radio signals to pilots in order to land on the appropriate threshold.
The move by the Aviation Ministry follows earlier concerns raised by the staff of GCAA.
An earlier statement by workers claimed that the Authority acquired two parcels of land at the Adenta (La Nkwantanan) and Labadi (La Wireless) for aviation development and expansion, part of which it said was taken over by the Kufuor government in 2007 for residential purposes.
- Akuapem Poloo granted ¢80k bail
- ECG releases ‘dumsor’ timetable; outages to begin May 10
- Murder suspect claims he mistook aeronautical engineer for a pig at Akyem Asuboa
- Akufo-Addo announces nominees for deputy ministerial positions, elevates Charles Adu-Boahen
- Kunbour mustn’t behave like a serial caller – Ade Coker
- Kasoa Opeikuma businessman killers arrested at Buduburam
- Contracts awarded to Zoomlion, Frontiers Healthcare Solution, others were in breach of procurement practices – Report
- Certify your Covid-19 Corruption Risk Assessment or we will use it as toilet paper – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful to CDA
- Kotoko to pay Maxwell Konadu $41,000 for breach of contract
- Ed Woodward resigns from Manchester United role
Eric Bonsu Agyabeng: Carnage on our roads – Tripod Beta perspective
Jerry Avornyotse: Traces of dictatorship creeping back to our democracy
George Floyd murder: Minneapolis police to face US federal probe
Police arrest 40 suspected criminals at Kasoa in Wednesday morning swoop
Build more gyms away from Accra – Bukom Banku to government
There is no scheme against Techiman City FC – Samuel Anim Addo
I will bridge communication gap between Finance Ministry and the public – John Kumah
Mark Okraku Mantey appointed Deputy Minister-designate for Tourism, Arts and Culture
Idriss Deby’s son named ‘president of the republic’
Teenager who filmed George Floyd’s death, posts emotional message following verdict
NCA to shut down 49 TV stations for operating without license
Chrissy Teigen says Kim Kardashian ‘gave her all’ to her marriage with Kanye West
Adjei Boakye: Demigods in our body politics; mismanaging our natural resources
Photos: 25-year-old who was allegedly murdered by boyfriend in Ho buried
I am a proud farmer – Dumelo declares after harvesting 3 tonnes of ginger