Audio By Carbonatix
Jude Bellingham has been given a suspended one-game ban following a UEFA investigation into the lewd gesture he appeared to make towards the Slovakia bench in the European Championship last 16.
Bellingham will be available for England’s quarter-final tie against Switzerland in Dusseldorf on Saturday. He has also been fined €30,000, while the English FA has been fined €11,000 for the lighting of fireworks and crowd disturbances by supporters during the Slovakia match.
UEFA released a statement on Monday which said Bellingham would be investigated “regarding a potential violation of the basic rules of decent conduct”. European football’s governing body had previously indicated Bellingham was not expected to face any punishment.
The 21-year-old scored a last-minute equaliser to force the last-16 game into extra time, with Harry Kane then netting the winning goal to set up a quarter-final tie against Switzerland.
Bellingham appeared to follow his 95th-minute strike in Gelsenkirchen by making a lewd gesture in the direction of Slovakia’s bench.
He later claimed on social media that it was an “inside joke gesture” towards his close friends who were at the game. “Nothing but respect for how that Slovakia team played tonight,” he added.
According to the International Football Association Board’s (IFAB) laws of the game, any “obscene gesture” or “offensive or insulting action” should be punishable by a red card.
Latest Stories
-
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
6 minutes -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
13 minutes -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
14 minutes -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
1 hour -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
2 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
2 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
2 hours -
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
3 hours -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
3 hours -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
3 hours -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
3 hours -
Nestlé Ghana, ECOM Ghana hand over 6-unit classroom block to Adarkwa Methodist Primary School
3 hours -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
3 hours -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
3 hours -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
4 hours