The Spaniard is a former manager of Liverpool, Chelsea, Valencia and Napoli, but it was at Real Madrid that he cut his teeth as both a player and a coach – and emotion got the better of him as he returned to his boyhood club after almost 20 years.
He will be Real Madrid’s new manager on a three-year contract, the club have confirmed.
The former Liverpool, Chelsea and Napoli coach will succeed Carlo Ancelotti, who left the club at the end of the Spanish league season.
"I'm returning home," Benitez told assembled media at his press conference on Wednesday.
"It's a unique opportunity. This is a difficult moment because I simply don't know how to describe the emotion."
"It's an exciting day. I've returned home. I'm already excited.
"I want to win trophies and for the team to play well, and I'm thankful for the trust placed in me."
Benítez began his coaching career at Real before winning two La Liga titles and the Uefa Cup with Valencia. From there he moved to Liverpool in 2004 and won the Champions League in his first season at Anfield.
- I’ll walk naked to Parliament to protest the anti-LGBTQ bill if it’s approved – Mother of transgender singer affirms
- Anti-LGBTQ Bill won’t meet constitutional test going forward – Dr Poku Adusei
- Anti-LGBTQ Bill: We are making it a crime for anybody to attack any known gay person- Dafeamekpor
- Homeland Study Group Leader, Papavi reported dead
- Embassies’ denial of visas over Anti-LGBTQ bill amounts to imperialism – Economist
- Samson’s Take: Stop hurting with your bad attitude at work
- Anti LGBTQI+ Bill: Does the NDC have one face at home and another face abroad? – Prof. Emerita Manuh asks
- Killer lamps removed from 1,418 vehicles in one week – NRSA
- Nothing will change about fuel prices – CEO of Bulk Oil Distributors
- Don’t misconstrue groups against Anti-LGBTQ Bill as supporters of same-sex related activities – Dr Poku Adusei
US Christian missionaries kidnapped in Port-au-Prince – Reports
Over 800,000 Ghanaians fully immunized against Covid-19 – GHS
Mohamed Salah: Liverpool forward ‘the best player’ in the world, says Jurgen Klopp
Paul Pogba: Man Utd need to ‘change something’ after loss to Leicester
ECOWAS deploys 55 observers to Presidential election in Cabo Verde
Ghana’s Sustainable Financing framework published on Finance Ministry’s website
Livestream: Church service with Pastor Mensa Otabil
Human Rights advocate urges Ghanaians to be circumspect with discussions on LGBTQI+ bill
Proscribed lamps removed from 1418 vehicles in one week – NRSA
TECNO Brings Ultra-steady and Ultra-clear Gimbal Camera Phone CAMON 18 Premier
“You’ve all been cowed” – Mahama criticises media for not probing corruption allegations against government
Two-month tax waiver on fuel products “unconstitutional and populist” move – Dafeamekpor
Anti-LGBTQ Bill: We are making it a crime for anybody to attack any known gay person- Dafeamekpor
Reality zone with Vicky Wereko: No quarantine, doors open – UK says you may come, but……
Nurses, midwives and relatives saw my son as a girl – Mother of transgender recounts