A Christian group mainly based in the Democratic Republic of Congo is on Wednesday marking Christmas Day to commemorate the birth of Jesus.
The Church of Jesus Christ on Earth by His Special Envoy Simon Kimbangu has about 20 million followers in the country, but also enjoys a following in neighbouring Angola.
It’s also called Kimbanguist Church after its founder Simon Kimbangu.
The church was last year suspended from the World Council of Churches for theological reasons.
Since 2016, the church has been celebrating Christmas Day on 25 May according to its understanding of the bible.
Mr Kimbangu was sentenced to death in 1921 for sedition and died after serving about 30 years in jail.
He died in Kasombo prison in the southern city of Lubumbashi, then known as Élisabethville.
He was reported to have fallen ill while in prison and was rushed to hospital where he died.
- Jackie Appiah trends on Twitter as video of posh Trassaco mansion pops up
- Drama as Nigerian lawyer dresses as native doctor to Supreme Court
- Social media users troll Shatta Wale over Jackie Appiah’s mansion
- National Cathedral: Lies are being told to cause disaffection – John Kumah
- Scores injured in accident on Accra-Kumasi highway
- Enimil Ashon: Osafo Maafo taking NPP to opposition?￼￼
- Finance Minister accounted for less than 50% of Covid-19 expenditure – Dr. Asiedu
- 18 dead in mass break-in to Spanish enclave
- Empress Gifty’s grandmother passes on
- Playback: Newsfile discusses accountability surrounding National Cathedral, Covid-19 expenditure
2022 MTN FA Cup final: the five key players to watch
Take steps to prevent torture during operations – CHRAJ to Security Agencies
Tonto Dikeh nominated as running mate to Rivers State governorship candidate
Make youth development in peace a priority – UN Peace Ambassador to African leaders
Social media users troll Shatta Wale over Jackie Appiah’s mansion
Scores injured in accident on Accra-Kumasi highway
National Cathedral: Board of Trustees must also be blamed for infractions – Antwi-Bosiako
Over 1000 Nigeriens repatriated – Gender Ministry
Finance Minister accounted for less than 50% of Covid-19 expenditure – Dr. Asiedu
All issues raised about National Cathedral will be addressed – Dr John Kumah
National Cathedral: Lies are being told to cause disaffection – John Kumah
Suspects held over Nigeria church massacre
Uncle Ebo’s ‘I slept with your wife’ shows today at the National Theatre
National Cathedral: Let us explore $50m cost option – Martin Kpebu
National Cathedral construction should not be under Monuments Board – Martin Kpebu