The Office of the Speaker of Parliament has described as intriguing, the complete silence on the travels of other members of government apart from Alban Bagbin.
In a statement on Monday to deny some allegations surrounding the Speaker’s travel expenses to Dubai for medical review, the Office said there are efforts to exaggerate the travel cost of the Speaker.
It added that Speaker Bagbin, in his 14 months in office, has travelled on a few occasions in comparison to previous Speakers within the same period.
It stressed that even some members of the leadership in Parliament have traveled more than the Speaker.
“What is intriguing is the focus on Mr Speaker’s travel and the efforts at exaggerating the cost. Meanwhile, there is complete silence on the travels of other members of government, the frequency of which is far higher than that of Mr Speaker,” portions of the statement read.
Meanwhile, the Office of the Speaker has urged the public to disregard allegations that the Speaker travelled to Dubai for medical review with his children and a large entourage.
The Office noted that the Speaker’s travel expenses to Dubai are in accordance with the President’s prescription and other analogous government members.
The statement added that the Speaker has no control of the computation of his per diem for travelling expenses, and as such, the figures making rounds are false.
“For purposes of clarity, Mr Speaker travelled with the medical doctor in charge of Parliament Medical Centre, his spouse as a carer and two other officials of Parliament as the least in practice. There is no advance party, no children, and certainly no other member on his entourage.
“The public is advised to see in such publications the political mischief that is intended and ignore such publications with the contempt they deserve,” portions of the statement read.
Bagbin last travelled to Dubai for medical review on January 29, 2022, and returned in early February. The first was on November 27, 2021, and the second was on January 7 and returned on January 23.
- Social media reacts to KT Hammond’s criticism of youth who hooted at Akufo-Addo
- ‘I get only ¢47 as pension’ – Nkrumah’s bodyguard laments life after president’s death
- “Very frustrating” – Asamoah Gyan on Black Stars midfielders not passing to strikers
- Footage for Akufo-Addo’s tourism video was acquired legitimately from an agency – GTA on Kirani Ayat’s theft claims
- “We shall also be blessed with Ghana Miracle” – Finance Minister speaks on economy recovery
- You can’t lead Ghana with your coconut heads – KT Hammond to those who booed Akufo-Addo
- Finance Minister to announce 5-member committee as part of moves to protect financial system
- ‘They were cheering him’ – Okraku-Mantey on Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival
- ‘I buy my own fuel’ – Deputy Tourism Minister
- The art exhibition that took Christian rituals literally brutal
- Merqury Republic calls for registration for 2022 Ghana DJ Clinic
- Moussa Dadis Camara: Guinea’s ex-military ruler on trial over stadium massacre
- Ethiopia’s Tigray war: Satellite images capture troop build-up near Eritrea border
- Joining UN Global Compact a step on the right path to ensuring investor confidence – DBG CEO
- Araba Opoku inspires hope, beauty and satisfaction from struggle in Whispers Down The Lane exhibition
- Roselyn Felli receives three nominations at NCA Awards 2022
- ‘Ghana is the No.1 tourism destination in West Africa’ – Deputy Minister of Tourism, Arts & Culture
- Fitch downgrade unfortunate, further depresses our bonds on international market – Ofori-Atta
- DBG signs UN Global Compact, pledges to abide by 10 principles for sustainable business and governance
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- Liberia rice shortage causes panic-buying
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- Livestream: PM Express discusses Black Stars’ poor performance and preparations for World Cup
- 2022/23 betPawa PL: Asante Kotoko beat Nsoatreman in outstanding matchday 1 fixture
- Podcast: Are Black Stars ready for Qatar after friendlies against Brazil and Nicaragua?