Audio By Carbonatix
An Accra Circuit Court has remanded into police custody, a 40-year-old tile setter for insulting President Nana Akuffo-Addo.
Raphael Okoe Ankrah, also known as Okoe Killer was arrested after police saw a video posted on social media showing the accused using very unsavoury words on the President.
He has since pleaded not guilty to offensive conduct conducive to breaches of the peace.
The Court presided over by Mr Samuel Bright Acquah, ordered that Ankrah be brought back on May 30, 2023.
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Maxwell Oppong told the Court that Ankrah lives in Jamestown.
He said on May 15, 2023, the Police saw a viral video in which Ankrah was seen insulting the President.
ASP Oppong said the police had to arrest Ankrah because the video was not only vile but had annoyed and agitated the public.
The Police’s Intelligence Directorate tracked Ankrah and arrested him at his hideout at James Town in Accra.
The prosecution said Ankrah admitted the offence in his investigation cautioned statement and was accordingly charged.
Mr Yaw Dankwa, Ankrah’s Defense Counsel who prayed for bail for the accused, said the charge did not support the facts. He said the charge was political because his client denied the offence upon his arrest.
He suggested that the said video could have been manipulated and until it was presented and scrutinised in court, his client was innocent of the charges.
Mr Dankwa said Ankrah, a “responsible father” with a wife who has a two-week baby, was not a flight risk.
He said Ankrah had “people of substance” ready to stand surety for him.
The prosecution, opposing the bail, pleaded with the Court to send the accused to the psychiatric hospital as he told police he was not in his right frame of mind.
ASP Oppong said that based on Ankrah’s utterances in the video, he would be safer in police custody because his life was in danger in his community.
On his defence's claim of not being a flight risk, the prosecution said Ankrah was a squatter living in an uncompleted building with no fixed place of abode, but his lawyer said there were no uncompleted buildings in James Town.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
5 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
5 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
5 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
5 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
5 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
5 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
5 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
5 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
6 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
6 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
6 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
7 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
7 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
7 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
7 hours