The Kuntenase District Court in the Ashanti Region has remanded a tailor’s apprentice who allegedly killed a friend at Sewua on Friday to avoid payment of a debt.
Emmanuel Boateng will be in police custody for two weeks.
The Bosomtwe District Police Command says there is enough evidence linking the suspect to the murder of Kwaku Adu Gyamfi, a second-year student of KNUST.
“Even though he has confessed, he has led us to retrieve the phone. We cannot keep suspects for more than 48 hours in police custody.
“So we took him to court today for the court to remand him so we can continue with our investigations”, District Police Commander DSP Eric Akwaboah said.
In an interview with Luv FM’s Nana Yaw Gyimah, the family members of the deceased revealed that the suspect was the deceased’s close friend. The family also said they fed the suspect.
“He was always in my house. His mother was recently sent to Berekum due to ill health. So we have been feeding him since. He is always in our house. He isn’t my son, but they lived like brothers”, Yaw Adu Gyamfi, father of the deceased said.
Mr Gyamfi also revealed that the suspect was together with his wife looking for his son.
“He was assisting my wife in search of my son. He was with us throughout the period.
“The police had asked us to seize him after they realised he could be involved in the murder”, Mr Gyamfi said.
It is still unclear to the deceased’s parents why the suspect would do such a thing to a family friend.
Meanwhile, the suspect is expected to reappear before the Kuntenase District Court on May 9.
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- GFA suspends AshantiGold SC for dealing with banned club president and son
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- Ghana will transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- Recent frequent rainfall is not a new phenomenon – Chief Forecaster
- Turbo-Jets win second edition of Adonai Osagyefo Basketball Championship
- Luv FM Habitat Fair: Homeowners and businesses urged to invest in security
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Agenda 111: 8 hospitals in Northern Region to be completed by December 2023 – Regional Minister
- Tafo Pankrono BECE candidates get free tuition ahead of final examination
- 2 sustain gunshot wounds at mining firm in Samreboi
- Judges call on Finance Ministry to fast-track payment of their outstanding allowances
- Banks still safest place to keep funds and invest despite economic challenges – Alhassan Andani
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- We can add more value to our yields to create jobs when supported – Bono Farmers and manufacturers
- World Heart Day: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure
- Global Citizen Festival campaign culminates in $2.4b to end extreme poverty
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets