Audio By Carbonatix
Six students of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) have been remanded on Wednesday.
The suspects were accused of raping a first-year student.
The development comes after the suspects were arraigned at the Asokore Mampong District Court.
This is the second time a KNUST student has been charged with raping another student at the school.
The lawyer of the suspects, Richard Adu Darko in an interview with Accra-based TV3 after the hearing said that until proven guilty by the court or the suspects plead guilty, he believes his clients are innocent.
“Looking at the fact which have been presented to us, honestly we don’t see rape but that’s what they have been accused of and once someone is accused, the law says the person is innocent until proven guilty or the person pleads otherwise.
“So, now until they plead that they are guilty or a court of competent jurisdiction finds them guilty, they are innocent. At this material moment, this is a court of first instance and they have been brought here for purposes of remanding them into lawful custody,” he stressed.
According to him, he will go to the “appropriate forum” to get bail for the six students in order for them to take part in their end-of-semester exams.
Meanwhile, following today's adjournment, a second hearing has been scheduled for Wednesday, August 17.
This is the second incident of this nature to have been recorded on the KNUST campus in the past three weeks.
How a policeman, KNUST student gang-raped female student
Last month, a police officer stationed at Bomso and a KNUST student were arrested for allegedly gang-raping a first-year student of the school.
Joel Osei Owusu, a Level 400 Business Administration student, is alleged to have lured the victim into his room at Ultimate Hostel and forcibly had sexual intercourse with her.
Nhyira FM’s police sources say the suspect, whilst in the act, recorded it with his cell phone.
Joel later invited his friend, whom the victim highly suspected to be a policeman at the Bomso Police Station, into the room.
General L/Cpl Frank Adu-Poku also, allegedly, forcibly had sex with the lady without her consent.
The incident is said to have occurred on Tuesday, July 19, at about 2:30 pm.
Two days later, the victim lodged a complaint with the KNUST District CID which commenced investigations into the matter.
The police, in collaboration with the office of the Dean of Students of KNUST, arrested suspect Joel Osei-Owusu at his hideout.
Upon interrogation, the suspect admitted to having had carnal knowledge of the complainant and mentioned General L/Cpl Frank Adu-Poku as his accomplice.
Latest Stories
-
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
18 minutes -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
23 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
29 minutes -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
2 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
2 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
2 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
2 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
3 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
3 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
3 hours -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
3 hours