Audio By Carbonatix
The Cuban Energy and Mining Ministry said on Thursday 80% of the capital, Havana, had power, and most of the country's energy grid had been reestablished 24 hours after it crashed, leaving 9.7 million residents in the dark.
"Electricity coverage has been increasing, and we are generating approximately 1000 Megawatts (MW) that will increase today," the ministry's electricity director, Lazaro Guerra, said during a morning state television broadcast.
"The restoration process is going well. ... We are in the concluding stage of the restoration of the electrical system," he said.
POWER SYSTEM IN A LONG-TERM CRISIS
That system has been in crisis for years and has an effective capacity of just under 2000 megawatts and a national demand of over 3,000 MW.
Even before Wednesday's collapse the vast majority of residents were experiencing daily blackouts of 16 hours or more.
Cuba's oil-fired power plants, already obsolete and struggling to keep the lights on, reached a full crisis last year as oil imports from Venezuela, Russia and Mexico dwindled.
The grid failure follows four nationwide blackouts since late last year.
Communist Party authorities have launched a crash program with China to install 1000 MW of solar power this year and another 1,000 MW after that.
The country has also been facing fuel, food and other shortages as part of its worst economic crisis in decades.
"The electrical system seems to be going through a very difficult situation, but we think ... measures can be taken that may contribute to an improvement," said Sergio Serrano, a self-employed Havana resident.
Housewife Thalia Martinez was not so sure.
"I don't understand what the state is doing about it. ... It is the people who suffer, the children, the mothers, the grandparents, the elderly, and that is super bad," she said.
Latest Stories
-
T-bills auction: Interest rates fell sharply to 6.4%; government exceeds target by 170%
1 hour -
Weak consumption, high unemployment rate pose greater threat to economic recovery – Databank Research
2 hours -
Godfred Arthur nets late winner as GoldStars stun Heart of Lions
3 hours -
2025/26 GPL: Chelsea hold profligate Hearts in Accra
3 hours -
Number of jobs advertised decreased by 4% to 2,614 in 2025 – BoG
3 hours -
Passenger arrivals at airport, land borders declined in 2025 – BoG
3 hours -
Total revenue and grant misses target by 6.7% to GH¢187bn in 2025
3 hours -
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
5 hours -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
5 hours -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
6 hours -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
6 hours -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
6 hours -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
7 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
7 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
7 hours
