Ghana’s British middleweight champion, Denzel Bentley (Denzel Ntim-Mensah) will subject his unbeaten run in the sport to a major test while seeking to snatch the Commonwealth title from its current holder champion Felix Cash on Saturday.
The 26-year-old’s job description is a complex one which also requires that he hands Felix Cash his first professional defeat.
“I feel great ahead of this fight. I feel like this is my coming out party to properly announce myself to the boxing world as a threat,” he told Joy Sports in an exclusive interview from London.
“I am happy it’s also for the Commonwealth title because more Ghanaians fight for the Commonwealth title. It will probably mean more to them than the British but it will be an honour to hold both the British and Commonwealth titles at the same time and represent both Ghana and Britain”
Denzel Bentley, based in Battersea, London, is undefeated in 15 fights consisting of 14 wins and a draw with a dozen of the wins coming by knockout.
During his last holiday in Ghana, he expressed the desire to fight for and win the Commonwealth title as a big foundation to break into the circle of major world titles and mega fights. He has great inspiration from Africa’s greatest boxer Azumah Nelson whom he met in Accra last December.
“I admire Azumah greatly for the fact that he came out of a place where nobody thought it was possible yet managed to make such global achievements. It is a big deal,” he told Joy Sports in an earlier interview.
He won the British title in November last year after his punishment forced his opponent Mark Heffron to retire in the fourth round.
Denzel’s thoughts on Cash
“I feel my opponent is good coming from a good amateur background and boxing team Great Britain but this is the Professional Game.”
It’s different and I’ve proved and still proving to be a great fighter.” Denzel told Joy Sports moments after the weigh-in.
Cash, 28, (13-0, 9kos) is an orthodox with a big punch that has helped him dispatch nine out of the 13 opponents via technical knockouts.
In October 2018, he recorded a unanimous decision over Dutch man Stephen ‘The Chosen One’ Danyo to claim the WBC International silver title and followed with a TKO win over Nigeria’s Rasheed Abolaji to annex the vacant Commonwealth title.
The Brit has since defended the title successfully against Jack Cullen and Jason Welborne, both of whom he dispatched via technical knockout wins.
The bout will be staged at the York Hall in Bethnal Green.
- WAEC explains BECE grading system
- Officials of China Mall, Shoprite, Palace Mall picked up for tax violations
- 8 persons arrested in ‘School placement for sale’ exposé
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- Cost of fuel: Ghanaians must pay fair market prices – PUMA Energy President
- Pay Toure over ¢100k within 45 days or face transfer ban – FIFA orders Medeama
- Don’t stop attending church because of my broken marriage – Osofo Kyiri Abosom tells congregation
- Gospel musician accuses police of killing her brother in a scuffle over cash
- South Africa calls on MTN, Ghana to resolve $773m tax dispute
- There is no coming back from this – Husband of Yellow Sisi Waakye seller
- Northern Development Authority CEO, 3 others plead not guilty to corruption charges, granted bail
- Consumption and expected cost for new tariff to be catalogued in Reckoner – ECG
- Danger looms as school children around Tapa Abotoase risk their lives for education
- Korle Bu Hospital doctors threaten strike over unpaid arrears
- Afia Schwarzenegger fined GH¢60k in contempt case
- Former UGSRC Veep vows to defeat John Dumelo in Ayawaso West NDC primaries
- 3 teacher unions call on GES to halt emergency transfers
- Bond market turnover falls by 54% to ¢954.15m
- Michael Jackson’s nephew to play singer in new biopic
- Fanmilk PLC rewards 74 trade partners in ‘Bronya Akyede Kese’ promo
- ‘You can’t transform basic education if you keep cutting budget for the sector’
- Assault of Latif: Attorney General begs for time to pursue settlement talks
- Minority leadership reshuffle: The change is a needless distraction – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- World Leprosy Day: Bawumia appeals against stigmatisation
- Use only our recruitment portal; disregard fraudulent agents – Vodafone Ghana