Fifty district assemblies and Civil Society Organisations (CSO) under the Ghana Strengthening Accountability Mechanisms (GSAM) have undergone training on effective use of social media.
The project is a five-year project from 2014 to 2019 that seeks to strengthen citizens’ oversight of capital projects to improve local government transparency, accountability and performance in one hundred districts in Ghana.
The project is part of efforts to ensure the MMDAs are transparent in delivering on their mandates and to fight corruption.
United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is funding the project but it is being implemented by Care International, Oxfam in Ghana and the Integrated Social Development Centre (ISODEC), together with the Ghana audit service and 27 other CSOs.
As part of the objectives of the project, the consortium is implementing an interrelated set of interventions to increase interaction between citizens and assemblies and citizen’s access to information on MMDAs capital projects.
The project is also expected to support evidence-based advocacy on bottom-up oversight through targeted campaigns using social media, radio, billboards and the press.
Chief of Party (COP) for the Ghana Strengthening Accountability Mechanisms (GSAM), Clement Andoh says, “In this era of advances in communication technologies, social media certainly offers a unique platform for citizens and district assemblies to establish regular dialogue”.
He believes this will also help curb the situation where residents agitate over lack of developmental projects in the country.
Mr Andoh said this during a two-day zonal forum for GSAM CSO partners and district assemblies from Ashanti and Brong Ahafo regions held in Sunyani.
At the end of the day, the CSOs and district assemblies are expected to improve on the use of social media platforms to share information on capital projects and enable citizens to voice their concerns and experiences on capital projects in their districts.
The forums which will be replicated in other zones in the country to cover all the one hundred districts are focused on the following;
– Identifying appropriate social media platforms for promoting citizen-local government dialogue on capital projects
– How to make effective use of these social media platforms for citizen-local government dialogue on capital projects
– How to monitor, evaluate (measure success) and report on the use of social media
Mr Andoh indicates that at the end of the forums, the participants must improve their knowledge and skills in effective use of social media in other to be accountable to their citizenry at the local level.
- Akuapem Poloo granted ¢80k bail
- ECG releases ‘dumsor’ timetable; outages to begin May 10
- Murder suspect claims he mistook aeronautical engineer for a pig at Akyem Asuboa
- Akufo-Addo announces nominees for deputy ministerial positions, elevates Charles Adu-Boahen
- Kunbour mustn’t behave like a serial caller – Ade Coker
- Kasoa Opeikuma businessman killers arrested at Buduburam
- Certify your Covid-19 Corruption Risk Assessment or we will use it as toilet paper – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful to CDA
- Contracts awarded to Zoomlion, Frontiers Healthcare Solution, others were in breach of procurement practices – Report
- Kotoko to pay Maxwell Konadu $41,000 for breach of contract
- NCA to shut down 49 TV stations for operating without license
Man found dead on farm at Damongo
Get rich mentality driving youth into illegal mining – Dr Frank Boateng
Owning a home; consider actual purchase and recurrent expenditure
Philanthropist drills mechanised borehole for Saabisi Primary School in Upper East
My legal experience earned me deputy ministerial slot – Egyapa Mercer
‘We won’t accept such stories’ – Family of murdered aeronautical engineer reacts to suspects account
Aeronautic engineer was shot 12 times in the neck and chest; Family rejects account of 3 suspects
International Labour Organisation organizes workshop on how to raise funds for SMEs
George Floyd murder: Joe Biden says Derek Chauvin guilty verdict can be ‘moment of significant change’
Suspect who slit throat of girlfriend in Ho remanded in police custody
Eric Bonsu Agyabeng: Carnage on our roads – Tripod Beta perspective
Jerry Avornyotse: Traces of dictatorship creeping back to our democracy
George Floyd murder: Minneapolis police to face US federal probe
Police arrest 40 suspected criminals at Kasoa in Wednesday morning swoop
Build more gyms away from Accra – Bukom Banku to government