An Electoral Commission (EC) member, Dr Peter Appiahene, has been dragged to the Supreme Court by South Dayi MP Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor over his alleged affiliation with the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP).
The legislator contends that under Ghana’s constitution, a person is not qualified to be an EC member if that person is a “known sympathiser, a member or openly affiliates or identified with a registered political party in Ghana”.
President Akufo-Addo in March this year swore in three new members of the electoral management body including Dr Appiahene.
Three civil society organisations comprising the Coalition of Domestic Election Observers (CODEO), the Star-Ghana Foundation and the Civic Forum Initiative (CFI) held a news conference urging Dr Appiahene to resign.
The CSOs maintained this appointment is unconstitutional.
The South Dayi MP is asking the Apex Court to revoke the appointment.
“An order revoking the appointment of the Ist Defendant by the President of the Republic of Ghana as a member of the 2nd Defendant Commission.
“An order of interlocutory injunction restraining the Is Defendant from acting as or holding himself out as a member of the 2nd Defendant Commission pending the determination of the suit.
“An order of perpetual injunction restraining the 1st Defendant from acting as or holding himself out as a member of the 2nd Defendant Commission.”
- Ghana’s gross reserves stood at 1.0 month of import cover in August 2023; trade surplus hits $2.016bn – BoG
- Alan to speak on Monday on political future after quitting NPP flagbearer race
- Livestream: The Probe discusses impact of #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest
- Dr. Sa-ad Iddrisu: Historians must document all human rights violations under Akufo-Addo’s watch
- Yaw Nsarkoh: Osagyefo & The Madiba: Global Africa in Search of Transformational Leadership in the 21st Century
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: I am here for Ghanaians, not NPP or NDC – Stonebwoy
- GPL 2023/24: Hearts of Oak beat 10-man Nsoatreman; Aduana beat Medeama
- Ghanaian youngster Raymond Anokye Asante scores in back-to-back games after injury return
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw