A court in Egypt has sentenced a media tycoon with close links to the government to three years in jail for his involvement in human trafficking and the indecent assault of underage girls at an orphanage he founded.
Mohamed El-Amin – who owned a number of influential media outlets – was arrested earlier this year after allegations of sexual abuse at the orphanage were made public by a humanitarian organisation called Missing Children.
The public prosecutor said that he had exploited his authority and the girls’ vulnerability.
El-Amin has denied the charges and will be able to appeal against the sentence.
- Halt operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Lands Ministry tells Chairman ‘Wontumi”s mining company
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 2 more people
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Whip
- Police confirm another murder orchestrated by Mankessim suspects
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- State TV off-air amid gunfire in Burkina Faso
- Video of alleged ‘galamsey’ men in gun battle with authorities emerges on social media
- SIM re-registration: “Eat your humble pie” – Sam George tells Ursula Owusu
- Good Morning America celebrates Ghana as host Robin Roberts explores the country
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Insecurity, self-doubt and fear nearly crushed my dreams but I triumphed – UPSA Law School valedictorian
- I won’t think twice about a Ghana call-up – Salis Abdul Samed
- Directive for Chairman Wontumi’s mining firm to stop work not enough, A-G must step in – OccupyGhana
- Ibrahim Gusau elected Nigeria Football Federation president
- Ghanaian footballer in the US dies in car crash
- Sadiq Abdulai Abu resigns as CEO of 3Music Networks
- I didn’t do music for fame, I wanted to inspire people – Zahara
- 1972 year group of Opoku Ware School refurbishes assembly hall
- Support Kirani Ayat amid copyright infringement allegations against GTA – Trigmatic tells creatives
- Hosts Ghana clash with Nigeria in MEA Rugby League Championship final
- BoG must review policy rate increases; economy not responding –Alhassan Andani
- There is no blueprint and formula for identifying football talents in Ghana – Faisal Chibsah
- Prosecution is an attempt to tarnish his reputation – Danadams Pharmaceuticals CEO lawyers
- Thomas Partey included in Arsenal squad to face Tottenham Hotspur
- Woman kills former landlord with hammer, steals $40k through forged checks