Kumawood actress Tracey Boakye has disclosed that she paid ₵2,000 as her contribution towards raising an amount of ₵420,000 for former President John Mahama as his filing and nomination fee.
Mr Mahama is seeking to be re-elected as flag bearer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) for the 2020 elections.
The NDC’s National Executive Committee (NEC) on Thursday, November 29, resolved that all male flag bearer aspirants should pay GHS400,000 as filing fee while female flag bearer-aspirants are to pay ₵200,000 and persons with disability aspiring to the same position are to pay ₵150,000.
The nomination forms are being sold at ₵20,000.
Critics, including some of the flag bearer aspirants, have slammed the “exorbitant” filing fee.
However, Ms Boakye, a staunch supporter of Mr Mahama, said on Accra FM that the filing fee “is cool” and added that “I paid ₵2,000 for Mahama.”
According to her, she paid on Sunday through the shortcode provided by the Mahama campaign team to help raise funds for the former President.
Meanwhile, some grassroot supporters of the NDC on Monday, December 3, queued at the former president’s residence at Cantonments, Accra to contribute their widow’s mite towards the former president’s ₵420,000 fee.
Also, MPs4JM, a group of 96 Minority Members of Parliament who have declared their support for Mr Mahama's bid to run for the NDC flag bearer, has so far mobilised 603 pledges of ₵1,000 each towards footing the fees of Mr Mahama.
The NDC’s presidential primary is slated for 19 January 2019.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Photos: Music Producer, Kaywa ordained man of God
- Oscars 2019: 17 quirky facts about this year's Academy Awards
- Okyeame Kwame, wife present third edition of ‘Flaunt Your Lover’
- Let’s cast our nets wider when booking artistes for shows – Tic
- Video: Meet #empawa100 final ten artistes
- Drake buys $400,000 diamond encrusted iPhone case
- Cwesi Oteng elated to have presented latest album to Akufo-Addo
- Donald Trump retweets viral video of woman juggling football
- John Dumelo reacts to ‘predatory and gross’ hugging of Legon students
- Video/Photos: Celestine Donkor thrills in first Drive Time Live Concert
- Video: Stonebwoy to headline Independence Concert
- Video: Our leaders are selfish - Don Little
- Jussie Smollett had no role in own attack, lawyers say
- Video: Young rapper takes on politicians, police, slay queens in freestyle rap
- NYPD investigating commander accused of telling officers to shoot 50 Cent