Kumawood actress Tracey Boakye has disclosed that she paid ₵2,000 as her contribution towards raising an amount of ₵420,000 for former President John Mahama as his filing and nomination fee.
Mr Mahama is seeking to be re-elected as flag bearer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) for the 2020 elections.
The NDC’s National Executive Committee (NEC) on Thursday, November 29, resolved that all male flag bearer aspirants should pay GHS400,000 as filing fee while female flag bearer-aspirants are to pay ₵200,000 and persons with disability aspiring to the same position are to pay ₵150,000.
The nomination forms are being sold at ₵20,000.
Critics, including some of the flag bearer aspirants, have slammed the “exorbitant” filing fee.
However, Ms Boakye, a staunch supporter of Mr Mahama, said on Accra FM that the filing fee “is cool” and added that “I paid ₵2,000 for Mahama.”
According to her, she paid on Sunday through the shortcode provided by the Mahama campaign team to help raise funds for the former President.
Meanwhile, some grassroot supporters of the NDC on Monday, December 3, queued at the former president’s residence at Cantonments, Accra to contribute their widow’s mite towards the former president’s ₵420,000 fee.
Also, MPs4JM, a group of 96 Minority Members of Parliament who have declared their support for Mr Mahama's bid to run for the NDC flag bearer, has so far mobilised 603 pledges of ₵1,000 each towards footing the fees of Mr Mahama.
The NDC’s presidential primary is slated for 19 January 2019.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- VGMA@20: Charterhouse was interested in tickets than security – Randy Abbey
- I still love Shatta Wale but... – Sarkodie on complicated relationship
- See alleged killer of Chris Attoh’s wife
- Shatta Wale’s mother replies Okraku Mantey over Shatta’s conduct
- VGMA@20 clash: Shatta Wale’s father discloses why he climbed the stage
- Shatta Wale is an attention seeker, doesn’t know his limits – Okraku Mantey
- Baako sees silver lining in Stonebwoy-Shatta Wale brawl
- Video: I thought Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale would learn from my experience – Gemann
- DJ Switch makes it unto billboard in Times Square
- Kwesi Arthur motivates students to win 2019 Queen’s Commonwealth Essay
- KiDi: Charterhouse should be sanctioned for role in VGMA brawl
- Fault Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale but blame Charterhouse too – Sarkodie
- Jim Iyke enjoys bullying me – Ini Edo
- Harvey Weinstein 'to settle with accusers for $44m'
- M.anifest fights child abuse