Kumawood actress Tracey Boakye has disclosed that she paid ₵2,000 as her contribution towards raising an amount of ₵420,000 for former President John Mahama as his filing and nomination fee.
Mr Mahama is seeking to be re-elected as flag bearer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) for the 2020 elections.
The NDC’s National Executive Committee (NEC) on Thursday, November 29, resolved that all male flag bearer aspirants should pay GHS400,000 as filing fee while female flag bearer-aspirants are to pay ₵200,000 and persons with disability aspiring to the same position are to pay ₵150,000.
The nomination forms are being sold at ₵20,000.
Critics, including some of the flag bearer aspirants, have slammed the “exorbitant” filing fee.
However, Ms Boakye, a staunch supporter of Mr Mahama, said on Accra FM that the filing fee “is cool” and added that “I paid ₵2,000 for Mahama.”
According to her, she paid on Sunday through the shortcode provided by the Mahama campaign team to help raise funds for the former President.
Meanwhile, some grassroot supporters of the NDC on Monday, December 3, queued at the former president’s residence at Cantonments, Accra to contribute their widow’s mite towards the former president’s ₵420,000 fee.
Also, MPs4JM, a group of 96 Minority Members of Parliament who have declared their support for Mr Mahama's bid to run for the NDC flag bearer, has so far mobilised 603 pledges of ₵1,000 each towards footing the fees of Mr Mahama.
The NDC’s presidential primary is slated for 19 January 2019.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Creative Arts Council, media pay courtesy call on Ghana Embassy in Spain
- Listen: 'Already' by Beyoncé ft Shatta Wale
- Storm Energy partners Silverbird to premiere Lion King
- FaceApp: Celebs fall in love with AgeChallenge
- Cobby Raymond releases Kojo Antwi inspired song
- MUSIGA has ¢70,000 locked up in Menzgold - Bessa Simons
- Nicki Minaj hints on signing Ghanaian act
- People aren’t celebrating GuiltyBeatz's prod. on Beyoncé's album – Ameyaw Debrah
- AFCON 2019: Fuse ODG to perform at closing ceremony
- Kevin Spacey: Massachusetts prosecutors drop sex assault case
- Ghanaian delegation in Spain for Vis-a-Vis Festival
- Video: Strika's handler hands over ¢40,000 to actor
- Shatta Wale to tour with Beyoncé
- We didn’t pitch any material to get selected – Bulldog opens up about Beyoncé-Shatta collab
- Milk this opportunity, it's not about ‘pah pah’ anymore – Shatta Wale told