Lawrence had his first seizure when he was eight. He remembers being in class in Zimbabwe, pretending to be a shopkeeper in a role-play exercise.
He had just made a mistake and the other children were laughing… The next thing he knew, he was waking up at home.
No-one understood what had happened, and the local doctor could not help. So when it happened again and again, the family turned to traditional healers for help.
His childhood became dominated by visits to different ones – which he found scary, and crushed his personality.
Finally, as an adult, Lawrence’s life was changed when a doctor diagnosed him with epilepsy, and he started treatment.
Epilepsy is one of the most misunderstood conditions in the world.
It is a neurological disorder caused by abnormal electrical activity in the brain, and most commonly associated with seizures which can be alarming to see.
Before the condition was properly understood by doctors, people thought that it was caused by evil spirits, and wrongly thought it was contagious.
Even though it is now understood, the condition is still surrounded by suspicion, myths, and severe stigma which can sometimes be even more difficult for patients to handle than the illness itself.
- #FixTheCountry: How an IGP meet-up turned into a ‘Cabinet Meeting’, without the IGP – Convenor reveals
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Barker-Vormawor alleges
- #FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
- We tried to have children for about 10 years – Ebo Whyte’s wife recounts
- Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
- I have no regrets participating in ‘OccupyFlagstaffHouse’ protest – Kofi Bentil
- Vehicle towing cost to be borne by insurance industry – NIC Commissioner
- It’ll take time for government to get economy back on track – Kojo Oppong Nkrumah
- Benjamin Azamati qualifies for Tokyo Olympics 200m event
Mother’s Day: Your hard work will never go unrewarded – Lordina Mahama
AU Heads of States direct AfCFTA negotiations to be concluded by June
Electoral Commission has no beef with NDC – Bossman Asare
Joe Ligon: America’s ‘longest juvenile lifer’ on 68 years in prison
Gunmen kill seven police officers in Nigeria
China rocket debris ‘disintegrates over Indian Ocean’
Playback: Church service with Pastor Mensa Otabil
Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez v Billy Joe Saunders: Mexican wins with eighth-round stoppage
Benjamin Azamati qualifies for Tokyo Olympics 200m event
Ghana recorded 10,684 newborn jaundice cases in 2020
Takoradi Technical University establishes Cyber-security Centre
Covid-19 remains a threat to national security – Interior Minister
Armed robber nabbed in Tema
Driver arrested for robbery at Gindabor, 5 others on the run in Savannah Region
We tried to have children for about 10 years – Ebo Whyte’s wife recounts