Leader of the Economic Fighters League, Ernesto Yeboah, has been arrested by security operatives at the Black Star Square in Accra.
The political activist was leading a vigil against police brutality amid similar protests in the USA after killing of African-American, George Floyd.
In a video, Mr Yeboah was seen addressing participants on the need to end police brutality among other issues.
According to JoyNews‘ Sarah Djosu, the atmosphere was a peaceful one until the arrest of the leader by the joint police and military team.
A lady is heard in an amateur footage shouting, “stop arresting us, oh my God!” as another protestor stumbles and falls over a motorbike while engaged in a heated argument with the security team.
Speaking to JoyNews prior to the arrest, Ernesto Yeboah said he felt “very embarrassed” by the actions of the security operatives adding “that never have we been inhibited or prevented from holding such sessions “only when it came to solidarising with black people all over the world and especially black people in America.”
“The state appears so inept. The state appears to have made a total fool of themselves to the rest of the world… What message are you supposed to send to the world given the fact that we have a constitution that talks about notifying the police about gatherings like this within seven days.”
He added that “when a black person is oppressed or maltreated in America or Europe, that also speaks to our reality that no matter what we do, we are never going to be respected.”
Security operatives later and whisked him away after the altercation.
The other protesters are headed to the Ministries police station where it is believed he would be held.
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- Suspected food poisoning: 5 die after eating waakye
- Patience Ozokwor explains why she didn’t remarry after husband’s death
- Government reaches deal with Securities Industry Association to sign up for Domestic Debt Exchange
- Ghanaian students on government scholarship stranded in UK over delayed stipend
- Court orders for pregnancy test of woman convicted in ¢50k theft before sentence
- 4 persons injured in ghastly accident on Accra-Kumasi Highway
- Full Report: Technical Committee on exclusion of individual bondholders from Debt Exchange Programme
- Classroom Mothers: Schoolgirl donating blood discovers she’s 3 months pregnant
- Individual bondholders petition Togbe Afede over Domestic Debt Exchange Programme
- Ghana’s reserves ended 2022 at 2.7 months of import cover; but trade surplus hits $2.75bn
- IMF presses Ghana to stop borrowing from its central bank
- Cedi depreciated by 19.1% to dollar in January 2023 – BoG
- A Google employee of 11 years and his wife shell-shocked over retrenchment
- Ghana’s public debt stood at ¢575.7bn in November 2022 – BoG
- There is a need for proper accountability of climate change funds – Dr Segtub
- Playback: Joy Prime’s BMPS Show: Is flirting disrespectful to your partner?
- What if Muntaka is appointed party’s campaign manager – NDC Executive Member on Minority leadership shake-up
- #SomethingWickedAwards live on Hitz FM
- Climate change funds should be used more for adaptation and mitigation efforts – Penplusbytes
- 1 suspect arrested in Krofrom gang attack
- Only 1 person died from suspected food poisoning at Oyibi – FDA
- UMB launches 2 new life insurance products with SIC Life
- Gang burns down six-bedroom house in reprisal attack at Krofrom
- 7 shot dead at Jerusalem synagogue