Audio By Carbonatix
Facebook has threatened to stop users from sharing news content in Australia as it prepares for a new law forcing it to pay publishers for their articles.
Regulators want tech giants like Facebook and Google to pay for the content reposted from news outlets.
Last month Google warned its users that its search services could be "dramatically worse" as a result.
Facebook's latest move to block news sharing has escalated tensions between tech firms and regulators.
The social media network said that if the proposed legislation becomes law it will stop Australians from sharing news on Facebook and its subsidiary Instagram.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has drawn up the rules to "level the playing field" between the tech giants and publishers that it says are struggling due to lost advertising revenue.
The ACCC responded to Facebook's threat to block news content saying it was "ill-timed and misconceived".
"The code simply aims to bring fairness and transparency to Facebook and Google's relationships with Australian news media businesses," ACCC chairman Rod Sims said.
But in a blog post, Facebook's managing director for Australia and New Zealand Will Easton, said the draft law "misunderstands the dynamics of the internet and will do damage to the very news organisations the government is trying to protect".
He argued it would force Facebook to pay for content that publishers voluntarily place on its platform to generate traffic back to their news sites.
Mr Easton claimed Facebook sent 2.3bn clicks from Facebook's newsfeed back to Australian news websites, worth around A$200m ($148m; £110m) during the first five months of the year.
The blocking of news "is not our first choice - it is our last," he said, adding that Facebook's other services that allow family and friends to connect will not be affected.
A Facebook spokesman told the BBC that it will "provide specific details soon" on how it will enforce the ban.
Some business experts argue that tech firms should pay publishers for the quality news content that they repost.
"Google, Facebook and others have been getting away with giving it away for free for too long," Michael Wade, a professor at the IMD Business School in Switzerland and Singapore, told the BBC last month.
Google and Facebook do pay for some news content in specific markets, and said they plan to roll these initiatives out to more countries.
Latest Stories
-
Illegal connections cost GWL GH₵8.6 Million between August–December 2025
4 minutes -
WPL 2025/26: Hasaacas Ladies move to top of Southern Zone as Ampem Darkoa continue lead
20 minutes -
Ghana Water Limited needs over GH₵3.5bn to replace ageing pipelines — MD
43 minutes -
Ageing water plants to blame for persistent water shortages — GWL boss
1 hour -
National Security Strategy gathering dust while Ghanaians die in Burkina Faso — Kwesi Aning
2 hours -
‘Not one warning issued’- Prof Aning criticises gov’t over failure to alert tomato traders on Burkina Faso risk
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages : Tuesday, February 17, 2026
2 hours -
Ghana, Spain deepen agribusiness ties as GB Foods calls on Trade Minister, unveils 6k-acre tomato project
2 hours -
Our Alhaji of Radio Univers is gone
2 hours -
Eve and Twinsdntbeg to headline 10th anniversary of the Warwick Africa Summit 2026
2 hours -
Continental Free Trade Area must benefit farmers – AfCFTA Secretary-General Wamkele Mene
3 hours -
MTN Ghana and CalBank launch 2026 “Save A Life” campaign
3 hours -
24 Hour Economy Secretariat engages Bank of Ghana on policy alignment
3 hours -
The fugu fight: A lesson in identity, a reminder of our power in unity
3 hours -
Minority Whips are the backbone of my leadership – Afenyo-Markin
3 hours
