Audio By Carbonatix
Fisheries Minister, Elizabeth Afoley Quaye has been criticised by fishery experts for publicly endorsing ‘Saiko’ activities in the country.
‘Saiko’ is a term used in Ghana to refer to the transfer, or “transshipment” of fish at sea by industrial trawlers to local canoes.
The practice is illegal under Ghanaian law and attracts a fine of between $100,000 to $2 million. The minimum fine increases to $1 million where catches involve juvenile fish or the use of prohibited fishing gears.
The Minister during her speech at a function in Apam last year had denied rumours that the government had banned the activity and further encouraged fishermen to engage in the practice.
“There is a practice in this country called Saiko, it is not the intention of the NPP to spoil the ongoing business, there are rumours that the fisheries ministry has banned the practice but it is untrue.”
Mrs Afoley Quaye noted that although the fishery sector is facing numerous challenges, even with the Saiko, the government is liaising with the Ghana Industrious Trawlers Association (GITA) to resolve the issues associated with it.
“What we are saying is that the Chinese take the bigger fishes to their country and leave us with fingerlings and that is what we are working on changing. But we have not said you should stop Saiko, we are saying do it and do it well,” she indicated.

Reacting to this comment, Director of Hεn Mpoano, Kofi Agbogah said the Minister goofed as her statement could send wrong signals to people in the fishing industry.
“That was a big slip, she shouldn’t have said that. She knows very well that Saiko fishing is illegal, and when something is illegal whether you do it well or not, it is still not acceptable.
“It is as like telling an armed robber to perform his robbery well.”
Mr Agbogah further indicated that Section 132 of the 1992 constitution clearly states that fish trawling is illegal therefore, Mrs Afoley Quaye’s statements have been outlawed by the supreme rules of the land.Latest Stories
-
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
8 minutes -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
13 minutes -
Eduwatch demands review of BOGISS decision against 14-year-old alleged sexual abuse victim
18 minutes -
Banking sector was undercapitalised for much of decade preceding 2017 cleanup – Opoku-Afari
20 minutes -
Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
21 minutes -
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student
31 minutes -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
45 minutes -
Change in mode of support package for Ghanaians returning from South Africa delayed announcement – MTN Board Chairman
45 minutes -
Mining industry must rethink social licence with youth at the centre – GoldBod CEO
51 minutes -
BoG encourages banks to list on GSE to unlock long-term capital
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Nandom SHS complete stunning comeback, edge Ghana SHS by a point to reach one-eighth stage
1 hour -
NPP must heal and rebuild after 2024 defeat to win 2028 election – Former Volta Regional Organiser of the NPP
1 hour -
Egypt to host Africa’s premier business forum
1 hour -
The bicycle principle: why continuity matters more than balance
2 hours -
Fire guts three-storey building near Manhyia Palace in Kumasi
2 hours