Audio By Carbonatix
The Fisheries Ministry has placed a ban on fishing by industrial trawlers from August 1, to October 1, and threatened any vessel that flouts the directive with a $1-million fine.
The sector Minister, Elizabeth Naa Afoley Quaye, who announced this in an interview added that the ban on industrial trawler fishing was part of moves to replenish the dwindling fish stock in the country’s territorial waters.
She said there were enough monitoring mechanisms put in place to ensure that the ban was adhered to.
Explaining further, Mrs Quaye said the Ghana Navy and the Marine Police were ready and alert and had already installed some tracking devices on licensed fishing vessels, while a monitoring team from the ministry, supported by local fishermen, was also on the lookout for trawlers that would contravene the order.
This year’s closed season for small-scale fishermen was begun on May 15, 2019 and ended on June 15, 2019.
Artisanal fisher folk have suggested that the closed season should be timed well and in synchronisation with all types of fishers.
Mrs Quaye said “information gathered so far from fishermen indicates that there is improvement in fish catch this year”.
She said some fish species thought to be extinct, including a class of small herring and a local fish popularly known as ‘kankan’, were caught this year by some fishermen.
Refuting media reports that some fishermen had complained of low fish catch after the closed season this year, she said the issue of dwindling fish stock had been with humanity for the past three decades.
“The issue of dwindling fish stock has been with us for three decades now. We are aware of the challenges and that is why we are working closely with fishermen and other stakeholders to have the situation improved tremendously by the next decade,” she said.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Four workers dead after being hit by train in Japan
1 minute -
Fact-check: Did GoldBod make a loss in 2025? Here’s what the records show
16 minutes -
Rev. Adzraku Kevi calls for more women in leadership
18 minutes -
Dagbon Kingdom suspends Damba Festival to honour late Overlord
20 minutes -
Harry and Meghan’s UK security arrangements remain a ‘private matter’ – Andy Burnham
25 minutes -
At least 15 killed in Kyiv as Ukraine grapples with air defence shortages
28 minutes -
Existing banking model could draw a dagger through Ghana’s 24-Hour Economy
35 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for Techiman SHS as Wesley High edge them by one point in prelims
39 minutes -
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
52 minutes -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
57 minutes -
Eduwatch demands review of BOGISS decision against 14-year-old alleged sexual abuse victim
1 hour -
Banking sector was undercapitalised for much of decade preceding 2017 cleanup – Opoku-Afari
1 hour -
Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
1 hour -
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student
1 hour -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
1 hour