Audio By Carbonatix
A former contestant on the reality TV show "Mentor" has been sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of manslaughter.
Bismark Ato Foster was found guilty after a trial in which prosecutors argued that he was responsible for the death of another individual, Razak Mohammed at Nungua Coco-Beach on September 26, 2016.
The charges against him included murder and the use of an offensive weapon.
Bismark had originally been charged with second-degree murder, but the jury found him guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter.
Following deliberations, the jury reached a guilty verdict of manslaughter and the use of an offensive weapon against Foster.
Initially, the jury returned a 6-1 guilty verdict. However, after further deliberations, the jury found Foster guilty.
Justice Mary Maame Ekue Yanzuh, presiding over the case at Criminal Court '3,' sentenced Foster to life imprisonment, as recommended by the jury.
Additionally, he was given a 25-year sentence for the use of the offensive weapon, both of which will be served concurrently.
Foster's defense counsel made a plea for mitigation, citing his client's first-time offender status and his good conduct throughout the trial.
Furthermore, the defense noted his commitment to attending all court proceedings.
The judge issued the life sentence to Foster, despite defense attorneys emphasising his young age, bright future, and claiming him to be a victim of circumstances.
The prosecution argued that the offense was serious, requiring a life sentence as a deterrent to others, and that the gun had been fired twice, implying intent.
After hearing both parties, Justice Mary Maame Ekue Yanzu handed down a life sentence.
Meanwhile, Foster's legal team has declared they will launch an appeal against the conviction and sentence.
Latest Stories
-
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
47 minutes -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
1 hour -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
1 hour -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
1 hour -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
1 hour -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
1 hour -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
2 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
3 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
3 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
5 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
5 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
5 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
5 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
6 hours