Audio By Carbonatix
Tensions flared at the GNAT Hall, one of the main self-placement centers in the Greater Accra Region, on Friday, September 19, as several parents and students were denied re-entry after stepping out to print documents required for the process.
The affected parents say they had already started the placement process but were forced to leave the premises temporarily to obtain the necessary paperwork, only to be barred from coming back inside upon their return.
Earlier in the day, scores of stranded parents and students thronged school placement resolution centers nationwide, forming long queues that stretched across the venues as they scrambled to secure Senior High School (SHS) admissions through the self-placement system.
Out of the 590,000 candidates who qualified for placement this year, more than 107,000 missed out on automatic school placement under the Computerised School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) and must therefore complete self-placement to secure admission.
At GNAT Hall, many parents and students had arrived before daybreak, clutching documents and anxiously waiting for the process to begin, hoping to secure spaces in their preferred schools before the reporting date.
Meanwhile, the Deputy Education Minister, Dr. Clement Apaak, who visited the Accra center to monitor the process, said the government is working to resolve all cases before the official reporting date in October.

“Not every student will get their first choice, especially in the top-tier schools where demand is high. But there are equally good schools available that can meet their educational needs.
"Our teams are on the ground to assist, and we are confident that the majority of cases will be resolved,” he said.
Dr. Apaak explained that the reporting date of October 18 was deliberately set to provide enough time for the ministry to address all placement challenges.
“Even if we are not able to resolve every single case immediately, most will be settled well ahead of the reporting date,” he assured.
Latest Stories
-
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
30 minutes -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
48 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
1 hour -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
4 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
4 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
4 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
5 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
5 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
5 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
6 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
6 hours