Ghanaian designer Aphia Sakyi has recently come under the spotlight after some of her accessories were spotted on characters in the movie ‘Coming 2 America’.
Speaking on Showbiz A-Z , she revealed that she was contacted via email to create some accessories for the movie.
Aphia Sakyi stated that she was originally contracted to make only one accessory, however, she was asked to create others later.
“They first bought a piece from us and see how it will complement the look they have. So after the first piece, they felt they needed more pieces to be able to style more designs,” she said.
Aphia Sakyi’s African brass-faced necklace was seen notably on Princess Meeka and Oha, Semmi.
The designer stated that regardless of the criticisms the movie has been receiving on all fronts including fashion, she believes the filmmakers wanted to incorporate current African trends thus the inclusion of designers and music from the continent.
She said that aside from the content the movie seemingly puts focus on African fashion trends with the outfits and accessories.
Aside from Coming 2 America, Aphia Sakyi’s accessories have also been used by a number of celebrities including Janet Jackson, Ciara, Grammy Award artiste Ledisi and others.
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- My wife got to know she was pregnant after robbery attack – Akesse Brempong
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- Ambulance case: State abusing its prosecutorial powers – Ato Forson’s lawyers to court
- Kylian Mbappe replaces Hugo Lloris as France national team captain
- AFCON 2023Q: Black Stars hold first training at Baba Yara Stadium [Photos]
- Alpha Beta Christian College wins 2nd Inter-School Girls Debate Championship
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, March 22, 2023
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – Samuel Mahama
- MFWA to hold national-level forum on misinformation, peace and democratic consolidation today
- MFWA builds capacity of journalists in fact-checking
- ECG building dockets on those who have stolen power – Samuel Mahama
- Digitalisation to help reduce ECG’s commercial losses – Samuel Mahama
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah