Ghanaian musician, Kofi Jamar has come under criticism for a tweet he made regarding the effects of colonisation.
The artiste, who has been very vocal about his conscious stance regarding black empowerment, took it to another level today.
In a post on Monday, he eulogised the impact Africans have had on music genres on the international front.
In justifying the role of blacks in these spaces, Kofi Jamar explained that “our ancestors really knew what they were doing when they sold Most Africans into slavery.”
“This is a great impact on the world as we see today,” he continued in the post on Twitter earlier today.
He added that “Blacks have benefited and impacted the world a lot in so many ways due to that migration. Shhh we wouldn’t have had the likes of Jay z, Lebron, Michael Jackson, Kanye West, Virgil abloh and a whole lot you can mention.”
Some social media users did not take this lightly.
So our ancestors sacrificed themselves for Kofi Jamar to come and tweet this nonsense.— Obuasi John WICK🔫🇬🇭 (@KojoLamarkojo) September 19, 2022
No wonder he ghost after erkoso.
Some issues are extra sensitive so if you have no better takes on em just keep mute. Guess Kofi Jamar will learn it the hard way— TWO TERTY 🇳🇬🇬🇭 (@Aboa_Banku1) September 19, 2022
Kofi Jamar knew people will come for him before making that tweet.— Elvis 🇬🇭 (@Kayjnr10) September 19, 2022
He saud “I know people will kill me for this”, lmao
They are actually dragging him too
But the artiste, following the tirade of reactions, seems to have gone back on his words.
He has since deleted the post apologised for the comment.
“I apologize for my tweet. My great grandfather, Prempeh the 1st was captured as a result of the colonial regime, I’ve been affected by what happened in many ways. Although the deed of slavery is wrong I can’t deny the impact blacks have had on the world today because of that.”
Meanwhile, the apology seems to have done very little to cure the outrage sparked by the original post.
That Kofi Jamar ein apology be worse pass the main tweet he deleted— TWO TERTY 🇳🇬🇬🇭 (@Aboa_Banku1) September 19, 2022
Twitter de3 if you want to prove too much woke, you go enter trouble all the time. Kofi Jamar should have known 😂— Damn Sexy🇬🇭🇳🇬🇯🇲 (@Bra_Abele) September 19, 2022
Find more reactions below;
The chief presenting Chris Brown’s grandfather to the Europeans after discovering his talent pic.twitter.com/GslvYY4gs7— Nungua Cardi B💕 (@ellyserwaaa) September 19, 2022
So is Kofi Jamar trying to tell we Ghanaians that he has more sense than Kwame Nkrumah and the Big six or what? That tweet on slave trade wasn’t needed.— Ivan 🇬🇭🧍🏿 (@Mrbelgium1) September 19, 2022
Kofi Jamar, I think he doesn’t have any insight about slave trade. pic.twitter.com/yMj6p0Zzos— Akosua💙💙 (@Boahemaabetty) September 19, 2022
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Court orders CID Boss to provide safety report on alleged bride killers
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- My vehicle was set ablaze on Samatex premises – Wontumi alleges
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Black Sherif didn’t lose BET, his nomination is a win – Reggie Rockstone
- Posterity will judge Akufo-Addo, other leaders meanly if galamsey fight is not won – Gabby Otchere-Darko
- Halt PPP arrangement for a laboratory facility – Medical Laboratory Professionals tell government
- Nima Dreams: A documentary about how lack of infrastructure is affecting talent growth
- Opanin Kwadwo Taah (Alias Papa J. K.)
- Submit report on persons responsible for infractions in Auditor-General’s report – Akufo-Addo charges SIGA, A-G
- Gerald Akwasi Koranteng
- Criticism that BoG was too slow in dealing with inflation is unfair – Economist
- Stonebwoy to feature Kenya’s Khaligraph Jones in new single
- Black Sherif’s ‘Oh Paradise’ about late girlfriend gets fans emotional
- Don’t blame us for worsening inflation rate – BoG tells World Bank
- Blunt Thoughts: Losing from both ends – Our natural resources in crisis and our economy in tatters
- Total Mobile Money transactions fall by 2% year-on-year in August 2022; E-levy impact marginal
- IBAG to celebrate Insurance Brokers’ Awareness Month this October
- GRA locks up popular event center ‘Underbridge’
- NSMQ 2022: Competing schools arrive on KNUST campus ahead of prelims
- ‘Galamsey’ got worse under Mahama – NPP tells NDC