The Ghanaian Ambassador to Egypt, His Excellency Alhaji Amin Amidu Sulemani says no Ghanaian in Egypt has been attacked in the on-going anti-government protest in the capital, Cairo.

He says he is in touch with the Ghanaian Community in Cairo and for now, everybody is fine, stressing there is no cause for alarm since the protesters are not targeting foreigners.

But Families of stranded Ghanaians in Egypt have called on the Government to quickly move in and bring back home those trapped by the unrest in the Maghrebian country as demonstrations entered a ninth day today.

Many countries including the USA and Turkey have already begun evacuating their citizens as pressure mounts on Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to step down immediately. The Egyptian military has called for an end to the ongoing demonstrations after Hosni Mubarak, the President, said he would step down in September after nearly 30 years in power.

The military statement came as internet service began to return to Egypt, while a night-time curfew was eased- now running from 5pm to 7am instead of 3pm to 8am. The embattled President has previously pledged constitutional reforms after appointing the first ever Vice President of Egypt but protesters are still demanding that he steps down.

The Ambassador says the only difficulty the Ghanaians in Cairo may face is having access to their monies since banks are not operating.
Alhaji Suleimani however says, on Tuesday, he had information that a house came under attack and a Ghanaian working there as a house-help sustained some minor burns in the process. The Ghanaian Ambassador to Egypt who spoke on ASEMPA FM’s Ekosii Sen,/i> with sit-in-host Kwadwo Asare-Baffour Acheampong says they are monitoring the situation and will take the necessary decision when it becomes necessary.

Meanwhile, as a result of the recent political unrest in Egypt, Ghanaian footballers who play their professional football there have found themselves wanting in the streets.

In an interview with Asempa FM’s Sports Night on Wednesday evening, some Ghanaian players namely Eric Bekoe and Kofi Bekoe who both play for Petrojet Fc in the Egyptian league said life in Egypt now is not safe.

The two players say life’s normal activities have been curtailed as they can hardly come out to buy anything .Internet services until this week wasn’t working.

The players now live at the Airport hoping to come home safely. They are pleading on the Government of Ghana to come to their aid.

Story by Kwadwo Asare-Baffour Acheampong & Yaa Asantewaa/Asempa FM/Ghana

Tags:  


NULL Invalid API key or channelobject(stdClass)#8716 (1) { ["error"]=> object(stdClass)#8731 (3) { ["code"]=> int(403) ["message"]=> string(117) "The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota." ["errors"]=> array(1) { [0]=> object(stdClass)#8743 (3) { ["message"]=> string(117) "The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota." ["domain"]=> string(13) "youtube.quota" ["reason"]=> string(13) "quotaExceeded" } } } }