Good Shepherd R/C Junior High School in Kumasi beat off competition from Kyere Educational Complex and Belhaven Montessori to win the 2022 edition of the Junior Science and Maths Quiz.
The three schools were engulfed in a heated contest, after which Good Shepherd School amassed the highest score of 44 points.
Kyere Educational Complex from Kumasi and Belhaven Montessori from Tamale trailed behind with 37 points and 33 points respectively.
The quiz was organized by the College of Science, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in collaboration with Eridec Ghana Ltd, and with support from Ghana Education Service (GES).
The quiz competition which is aimed at encouraging critical thinking and teamwork in STEM involved over 150 schools from 4 regions.
Provost of College of Science, Prof. Leonard Amekudzi was thankful to former students, Eric and Derrick of Eridec Ghana Limited who birthed the idea of a Science and Maths quiz for Junior High Schools.
“The programme we are all seeing today is as result of two hardworking former students of the University, Eric and Derrick (Eridec Gh. Ltd), who at the time dreamt of such an impressive programme to whip up the interest of students in STEM,” he said.
Chairman of the Quiz Board, Prof. Kwasi Preko was happy the quiz provided an opportunity for participants to seek higher education in notable Senior High School institutions.
“I know some Headmasters of renowned schools in Ghana are already scouting for the students. This started last year after the finals. Some head of schools called the boys and pleaded with them to choose their school,” he said.
Caleb Fugar of Dext Technology stated that their “two primary motives are to be able to transform our education and to give our students an advantage for the future.
“We are supposed to give the students core competence, the communication, creative capacity, critical thinking and the confidence to be able to make an impact.”
Good Shepherd R/C JHS was presented with GHC10, 000 as part of its winning package, and a trophy sponsored by the Ghana National Petroleum Company (GNPC) foundation whiles Kyere Educational Complex and Belhaven Montessori also received GHC7,000 and GHC 5,000 respectively for finishing as the 1st and 2nd runners-up.
Steady X also took turns to present the participating schools with a study tablet.
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- Suspected food poisoning: Waakye kills 5 including pregnant woman
- Debt Exchange Programme: Government reaches agreement with Ghana Insurers Association
- Minority Leadership reshuffle an affront to dignity of NDC Caucus – Dr. Dominic Ayine
- Consultations are not mandatory – Dr. Spio-Garbrah on change in Minority leadership
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- Haruna Iddrisu, Muntaka Mubarak still leaders of Minority Caucus – Cletus Avoka
- Debt Exchange Programme: Jubilee House, EMT against inclusion of individual bondholders – Bright Simons
- Man butchered by unknown assailants at Krofrom in Ashanti Region
- DDE could be a positive turning point for Ghana – Alhassan Andani
- Debt Exchange: Ghana Insurers Association urges policyholders to remain calm
- Patience Ozokwor explains why she didn’t remarry after husband’s death
- KNUST findings cite reduction in green areas for increased flooding in Kumasi
- Develop a positive attitude – Apostle Nyamekye advises Ghanaians
- The Spanish town powered by waves
- GES commiserates with bereaved families of 8 drowned pupils
- Black Sherif bags 5 nominations from Soundcity MVP Awards
- 47th SWAG Awards gala set for Saturday, January 28
- Government reaches deal with Securities Industry Association to sign up for Domestic Debt Exchange
- No amount of petitions and press conferences can reverse NDC’s new parliamentary leadership – Ras Mubarak
- Climate change reporting shouldn’t always be about doom – Lecturer
- A sex scene with Jim Iyke almost got me expelled from university – Actress
- BBC News presenter gets emotional in last ever sign-off
- Kenyan court convicts Venezuelan diploma of murder
- Is Iñaki Williams favourite to win LaLiga African MVP award?