Audio By Carbonatix
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has given the military rulers in Guinea six months to return the country to constitutional order.
The Authority of Heads of State and Government of ECOWAS, Chaired by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo took the decision at the sub regional body's Extraordinary Summit held in Accra Thursday.
ECOWAS has imposed travel ban on the military leaders as well as their family members and supporters and frozen the financial assets of members of the military junta.
The President of the ECOWAS Commission, Jean-Claude Kissie Brou, told the media after the Summit that the decisions of the ECOWAS Authority would be communicated officially to the military rulers today [September 16].
He said ECOWAS is concerned with the seeming political instability in the region and had decided to revisit it's protocols on democracy and good governance to address the current situation.
On why the Commission failed to intervene when the political issues began in Guinea, the President of the Commission noted that ECOWAS took steps before, during and after the crisis.
He added that there were several stakeholder engagements which involved the political parties in Guinea when the issues began
He stated further that at the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Commission held virtual meetings with the stakeholders involved, seeking to ensure that the issue did not escalate.
He pointed out however, that ECOWAS Is made up of sovereign countries who have the right to make their own decisions.
Present at the Summit were the Presidents of Togo, Cote d’Ivoire, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea Bissau and Niger. Nigeria was represented by its Vice President.
The Heads of State discussed a report of a high-level ECOWAS mission sent to Guinea last week following President Conde's overthrow
The High-Level mission, led by Foreign Affairs Minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway met the military rulers in Guinea, led by Lieutenant Colonel Mamady Doumbouya.
Latest Stories
-
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
3 minutes -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
7 minutes -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
19 minutes -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
2 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
2 hours -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
2 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
2 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
2 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
2 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
2 hours -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
2 hours -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours