Former Member of Parliament for Adentan who is vying for a deputy General Secretary position within the governing National Democratic Congress has waved off an underdog tag, insisting he is the man to beat.
Kojo Adu Asare is banking his experience as a Member of Parliament to ward-off challenge from incumbent deputy General Secretary George Lawson and former Director of Communications at the Presidency, Koku Anyidoho.
Two places are up for grabs but three contestants are in the race, which means one person would be turned down by the delegates.
Some political watchers have described Kojo Adu Asare as the underdog ahead of the party's Congress to be held in Kumasi on Saturday.
But the former MP told Joy News none of the contestants comes close to his credentials.
He said the experience he garnered as the MP would be crucial in his quest to become the Deputy General Secretary.
Adu Asare said the incumbent Chairman Dr Kwabena Adjei, as well as the General Secretary Johnson Asiedu Nketiah were all MPs who used their experience in Parliament to drive the NDC to where it is now.
He said his expertise in communication is unmatched, citing his role as a member of government's communications team for many years.
The former MP also touted his contribution to the party in the 2012 elections. He claimed to have funded 40 giant billboards to help the NDC campaign, adding he personally raised $300,000 for the NDC in a mega fund raising ceremony.
So for persons who claimed he is the underdog, Kojo Adu Asare said, "it is not the size of the dog that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog."
In all, over 70 candidates are vying for various positions including the Chairman, Vice Chairman, National Organiser and General Secretary positions.
At a press conference held in Kumasi on Friday, the party's General Secretary Johnson Asiedu Nketiah said given the number of candidates vying for the position, no aspirant would be made to address the delegates.
Luv FM's Erastus Asare Donkor reported Asiedu Nketiah as saying that the aspirants would only be introduced to delegates.
The party's scribe said the National Executive Committee of the party would be meeting later on Friday to consider constitutional amendments.
Already, the Ashanti Regional capital is awash with NDC paraphernalia, posters and billboards, Donkor reported.
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- E-levy: GRA blames charging entities for wrongful deductions
- President’s son loses army post after Twitter spree
- Auctioning of vehicles at Tema Port to go online by end of October, 2022- GRA
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to go broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- UTAG, 3 university labour unions to strike on October 13
- We need a national discussion on how to make Ghana’s debt sustainable – Ato Forson
- Morocco issues first cannabis production permits
- Ukraine’s uphill battle to gain Africa’s support
- Victims of human trafficking need adequate information on the issue – Media consultant
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable -Dr. Acheampong
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Scientists, policy makers to benefit from KNUST’s Building Stronger Universities project
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line in the sea for 9 years
- We are determined to build trustworthy and robust institutions – Chief Justice assures
- B. A. Mensah: Ghanaians are about to get a break from the fuel crisis
- Playback: PM Express discusses Ghana’s unsustainable debt levels and impact on IMF negotiations
- I will deal with government officials found complicit in galamsey activities – Akufo-Addo
- Sadiq Abdulai Abu, Bessa Simons, Spiky, others confirmed as speakers for 2022 Ghana DJ Clinic
- Nigerian singer Asa threatens Joeboy with copyright lawsuit, demands ₦300m