Accra Metropolitan Environmental Health officers who embarked on routine environmental education at Agbogbloshie Yam Market in Accra, were attacked and chased out of the place.
The officers, led by the Metro Environmental Health Director, Madam Florence Kuukyi, were there on Wednesday, to educate traders on how to maintain effective hygiene in the market.
During their interaction with the traders, they saw that some of them had displayed vegetables on pallets covering filthy gutters on the main road, which is contrary to the AMA’s environmental by-laws. So she quickly ordered the AMA taskforce to arrest the offenders and seize their displayed food stuffs.
However, this did not go down well with the offenders, thus a fierce confrontation broke out between members of the taskforce and the traders.
In the process, the angry traders overpowered the taskforce and freed the boy who was under arrest.
The situation attracted other young men who came to loot the food stuffs that were seized and packed in one of the AMA vehicles.
Despite the intervention of an MTTD Police officer, the volatile situation brought the programme to a momentary halt, but Madam Florence Kuukyi and her colleague, Mr Joseph Asitanga later reorganized themselves to carry on the program.
Somehow, the news of the fracas got to the Accra Mayor, Madam Elizabeth Sackey who rushed to scene to bring the situation under control.
The Mayor, upon seeing how the traders had displayed food stuffs at unhygienic places, ordered their arrest, hence 13 of them were arrested.
Concerning the attack on her environmental health officers, she described it as unfortunate.
She said “these people are fond of doing that, either they attack you or they throw stones at you and others and warned them to desist from it. If they have gone to the extent of fighting my officers, it tells you the next time it will be me and I will not take it lightly and that is there should be an action now,” said Madam Elizabeth Sackey.
She announced that her next plan is to bring the Police to the market to tow all the cars that have been parked on the main road.
Here are more photos from the exercise:
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government
- GOIL supports Appiatse Disaster Fund