Joy News’ Emmanuel Kwasi Debrah has been honoured at the 2023 Special Recognition Awards of the Ghana Science Association (GSA).
He was presented with a plaque at the 12th GSA Research Seminar and Poster Presentations in Kumasi for his dedication to science reporting.
The Science and Technology journalist is the lead reporter on Joy News’ Tech Thursday, and the 2022 recipient of the Engineering Evangelism Award by the Ghana Institution of Engineering (GhIE).
The president of the Ghana Science Association, Kumasi branch, Prof. Jacob Agbenorhevi praised Kwasi Debrah for his excellent reportage on research activities of GSA Members.
“His coverage of members’ research works and activities is outstanding,” he said.
The event also saw the recognition of the Multimedia Group Limited for providing the platform for GSA activities.
The 12th GSA Research Seminar and Poster Presentations forms part of the International Year of Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development (IYBSSD-2023).
The conference was under the theme: The role of basic sciences for sustainable development. It was supported by the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP).
Prof. Agbenorhevi stressed the crucial role basic sciences play in the achievement of the SDGs.
“The conference presents another opportunity to showcase and educate on how basic Sciences have contributed to and continue to make tremendous impact on achieving the Sustainable Development Goals through scientific research works, technology, innovations and partnerships,” he said.
This year’s conference was both in-person and online.
The 2-day event was organised in collaboration with the Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences (GAAS), KNUST College of Science and Young Researchers Forum of the Office of Grants and Research (OGR) KNUST.
Past president of the Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences (GAAS) Prof. Aba Bentil Andam was happy the Academy is championing the studying of basic sciences.
“The Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences, Ghana’s premier learned Society is happy to lead the celebration of IYBSSD, 2022/2023,” she stated.
Dr. Mrs. Augustina Angelina Sylverken of Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Ghana, WiSTEMGh urged scientists to leave a legacy.
“Let us all keep up the momentum and the spirit and show that we can use basic sciences to make a lot of things happen to generations unborn,” she said.
The event featured some students from selected Senior High Schools in Ashanti region, and over 100 poster presentations.
- I didn’t attend the seminary to become a Priest – Rev. Akua Boateng
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Ghana power firms reject move to restructure $1.4bn debt
- Livestream: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- Ghana is not poor, we are only being poorly managed – Dr. Ali-Nakyea
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- Parliament approves all six ministerial nominees
- Eugene Osei-Tutu: State funding of political parties; are we ready?
- Ho Central NDC primaries: It is time to reward loyalty and hard work – Randsford Kasu
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- Beyoncé and Adidas reportedly end partnership
- Foreign on indigenous: A look at Ghana’s fashion industry
- 2023 Onga Cook Art: Keta SHTS defeats Mafi Adidome SHS and three other schools to qualify for zonals
- Damongo primaries: Adam Mutawakilu should go unopposed – NDC polling station executives
- Parliament adopts new rules as MPs vote on fate of ministerial appointees
- Twitter will kill ‘legacy’ blue checks on April 1
- Minority to ‘do everything possible’ to reject Ministerial nominees – Murtala Muhammed
- Off-duty pilot flying as passenger takes over plane after captain becomes incapacitated mid-flight
- Qpee Vibez out with new Afrobeats song titled ‘Allo’
- US Vice President to visit Ghana on March 27 to deepen bilateral relations, strengthen trade and investment
- MUSIGA to hold elections on August 8 after 4 years of postponements