Joy News’ Latif Iddrisu has for the second year in a row been adjudged the Mining Reporter of the Year.
He beat competition from dozens of journalists who competed at the 5th Ghana Mining Industry Awards held at the Marriott hotel Friday night, with
Editor of Hotline Documentary with Joy News, Kweku Owusu Peprah, emerged as the first runner up.
Mr Iddrisu produced ‘The Gold Burden’ in 2018, a two parts investigative Hotline Documentary that led to the arrest of a number of illegal miners including foreigners.
The documentary revealed how some illegal Chinese miners had hijacked and pillaged forests in the country’s mining regions, depleting the forests and polluting water sources in the process.
The Awards night also saw 19 mining companies and individuals honoured for exhibiting excellence in the mining industry.
Elated Latif Iddrisu said, “This award means a lot to me. My documentary is evidence of the need for more surveillance across mining communities to end the scourge of illegal small scale mining.”
The Mining Personality of the year award went to Alfred Baku, Executive Vice President of Gold Fields.
Asanko Gold also emerged as the Mining Company of the year.
- Number 12: Sannie Daara cleared of wrongdoing, GFA free to re-appoint him
- Osinachi’s husband charged with homicide
- GES did not undertake $1.2 million ‘phantom’ training under my watch – Matthew Opoku Prempeh
- Major shake-up hits ECG as new MD reshuffles top 14 officers
- 10-bedroom apartment burnt in Thursday afternoon fire in Kumasi
- Mr Ibu hospitalised again
- NPP regional elections: 6 ‘suspicious’ persons arrested in Northern Region
- We may hear Adwoa Safo via zoom – Privileges Committee
- NPP Council of Elders in Ashanti region set to boycott Regional Executive Elections
- One dead after armed men attack gold dealer’s shop at Anyinam on Accra-Kumasi highway
Mahama congratulates Queen Elizabeth II ‘on the joyous occasion’ of her platinum jubilee
Armed female bystander kills man firing at party in West Virginia
Assin North: Court of Appeal dismisses Gyakye Quayson’s Stay of Proceedings
Watch the French Ambassador attempt to speak Twi
Ghana signs $69.88 million renewable energy agreement to enhance electricity access
Joy Business Reporter and Anchor Charles Ayitey wins award
Speaker reiterates need for passage of Affirmative Action Bill
AfDB Governors adopt 10 years strategic plan
‘I will not recognise any naked person in this House again’ – Speaker on MPs dressing
University of Energy and Natural Resources cuts sod for the construction of a sports complex
Livestream: Newsfile discusses Accra flooding and rescuing Achimota forest
Ethiopia unrest: Sudden arrest of 4,000 spells fear in Amhara
How ex-Gambia President Yahya Jammeh’s US mansion was seized
Trump: US should fund safe schools before Ukraine
IOM Ghana launches ‘Waka well, fa kwan pa so’ campaign to inform youth about migration-related decisions