The Attorney General’s office says no policeman assaulted JoyNews’ Latif Iddrisu.
This was the suggestion by an Attorney at the Office Nancy Rita Twumasi Asiamah when she cross-examined the journalist on Monday, January 30.
The reporter, however, rejected the suggestion insisting he was beaten mercilessly by many policemen.
Mr Iddrisu and The Multimedia Group are in court demanding payment of damages for the assault visited on the journalist by policemen on March 2018.
The journalist was beaten up while covering a protest at the police headquarters.
He has since been battling various health complications arising twice from head injuries from the assault.
Mr Iddrisu told the court on Monday that the assault commenced shortly after he had asked a policeman the technical name of a vehicle he had seen at the premises.
“When the first officer I approached started the assault, he got his colleagues who were manning the entrance to also join.
“When I felt my life was in danger due to the severity of the assault, I shouted, at the top of my voice and called my camera technician. When he came close to me and I asked him to film what was happening.
“Some of the officers pounced on him and moved him from that scene and pushed me into the main compound. And they did all this damage to me. It was then that I got to know that there were officers on the compound,” Latif recounted.
The state Attorney, however, dismissed the narration describing it as untrue.
“I put it to you that the police officer you approached to question did not assault you. Neither did the group of officers who were at the gate or the compound assault you,” she stated.
The journalist, however, insisted he was beaten by policemen.
This suggestion by the Attorney General’s office came shortly after it had urged the police to consider settling the matter out of court.
The Attorney General revealed a letter had since been dispatched to the Inspector General of Police but a response has not been received.
Lead counsel for The Multimedia Group and Latif Idrissu, Samson Lardi Anyenini, told the court his side was not opposed to a settlement but the case ought to progress.
He revealed that the National Media Commission had previously attempted to mediate to ensure settlement but this did not yield much.
The case will be back in court on Tuesday, January 31, 2023.
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Parliament approves all six ministerial nominees
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Playback: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- Chris Hughton told me Baba Yara pitch is one of the best he’s seen – NSA Boss
- U23 AFCON 2023Q: Black Meteors held to 1-1 draw in Algeria
- Principal fired after Florida students shown Michelangelo statue
- Vatican returns Parthenon sculptures to Greece
- Chad nationalises assets belonging to Exxon Mobile
- NPP Bono Regional Organizer supports TESCON with 200k
- Mbappe scores in France heavy win over Netherlands
- This woman left her AirPods on a plane. She tracked them to an airport worker’s home
- Cedi depreciates by 22.1% in March 2023 – BoG
- I am not ready to die – Bagbin says as he calls for adjournment of prolonged sitting
- Ghana’s debt unchanged at ¢575.7bn – BoG
- Government makes additional payment for outstanding coupons
- Speaker congratulates approved ministerial nominees
- Playback: One-on-one with Prof Ofori Birikorang on PM Express
- This Saturday on Newsfile