Audio By Carbonatix
The General Secretary of the Ghana Used Clothing Dealers Association, Edward Atobrah has described the Katamanto fire outbreak on Tuesday as a big blow to the association.
This, he explained, is due to the current economic hardships experienced in the country.

He questioned how the traders were going to survive in the hardship since most of their goods were credited.
“This is a big blow to the Ghana Used Clothes Dealers Association ... Even right now, we are trying to survive and then your goods are burnt so where do you get money to feed?”
This follows parts of Kantamanto Market being engulfed by fire in the early hours of Tuesday. Many goods and shops worth thousands of cedis were destroyed in the process.
The General Secretary of the Ghana Used Clothing Dealers Association called on the government to intervene and support the traders.
“At least the government should come in if not all, at least support us with something to take care of the situation. Those who have their goods burnt, if we can help them buy some few bills so that they can also be resilient and continue their business,” he appealed.

Meanwhile, Mr Atobrah disclosed that the Association received intelligence last week about an intended fire outbreak.
Speaking on JoyNews’ The Pulse hours after the incident had occurred, Edward Atobrah said unfortunately the information did not identify the exact location at which the fire outbreak would be taking place.

“A week earlier we had information that the market was going to burn so we did not know exactly where and unfortunately it happened,” he told Blessed Sogah on Tuesday.
He explained that the Association upon receiving the intelligence tried to curtail the occurrence.
According to him, the focus was rather on the bigger side of the market and did not suspect the side of the market which suffered the inferno.
Latest Stories
-
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
31 minutes -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
45 minutes -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
45 minutes -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
1 hour -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
1 hour -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
1 hour -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
2 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
3 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
3 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
4 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
4 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
5 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
5 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
5 hours