Audio By Carbonatix
Kumasi City Markets Limited, Managers of the Kejetia Market, one of the landmark trading centres in the West-African sub-Region, has announced that the facility will close at 7pm from June 1, this year.
Managing Director, Mr Kofi Dufour Addai said the decision was to reduce the cost of operation, and also enhance the security and safety of traders at the facility.
“No trading activities could go on after the said time when the directive is implemented,” he told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Kumasi.
Currently, trading and related commercial activities are allowed within the ultra-modern market between 6 am to 7 pm.
Mr Dufour Addai emphasized that the managers would not permit entrance into the facility by either the public or commercial vehicles from June 1 and cautioned the traders and public to endeavour to comply with the directive when brought into force as the managers would not countenance any form of indiscipline.
The Managing Director stated that the decision had been communicated to the traders to inform them of the impending changes.
The latest development comes in the wake of the recent fire outbreak at the Kejetia Market, destroying some merchandise.
The incident, which is being investigated, led to the temporary closure of the facility to allow fire experts and the police to assess the situation.
The state-of-the-art Market covers the first phase of the Kejetia/Central Market Re-development Project, which commenced in 2015, to replace the ageing open-space Kumasi Central Market, considered as one of the biggest trading hubs in the sub-Region.
It was inaugurated in 2018, and has about 8,420 stores, a clinic, a police station, a social and recreational centre, ICT centre and a post office, a fire post, banks and a crèche.
Latest Stories
-
US Embassy releases 1,000 visa slots in Accra
5 minutes -
‘One of the greatest actors we ever had’: Hollywood mourns Robert Duvall
7 minutes -
The Great African Divergence: Why the dream of a borderless Africa is a dangerous premature reality
27 minutes -
Association of Banks CEO hails “unpalatable” decision to save COCOBOD from collapse
30 minutes -
New nuclear talks between US and Iran begin in Geneva
41 minutes -
Why “good enough” is destroying Ghana’s fashion manufacturing future
43 minutes -
Gov’t is impoverishing cocoa farmers—Awal Mohammed
50 minutes -
US civil rights leader Jesse Jackson dies aged 84
52 minutes -
Bond market: Turnover declines 42.47% to GH¢2.27bn
57 minutes -
Ghana records 130 million gallon daily water deficit — GWL Managing Director
59 minutes -
Benjamin Asare ‘not at the level’ of Black Stars – Fmr Kotoko management member
1 hour -
GFA Prez Kurt Okraku targets AFCON triumph
1 hour -
GWL MD identifies Kasoa as major hub of illegal water connections
1 hour -
‘He subjected me to constant, severe, chronic violence’ — Woman breaks 50-year silence on alleged abuse by Pastor father
1 hour -
Illegal connections cost GWL GH₵8.6 Million between August–December 2025
1 hour
