Audio By Carbonatix
Kenny Dalglish has been sacked as Liverpool manager.
The move came after the club won the Carling Cup, reached the FA Cup Final and finished eighth in the Premier League.
"Results in the Premier League have been disappointing and to build on the progress that has been made, we need to make a change," read a statement.
Dalglish's departure comes after face-to-face talks with principal owners John W Henry and Tom Werner in Boston on Monday.
Despite reaching the FA Cup final and winning the Carling Cup, the Reds finished eighth in the top flight having lost as many games as they won.
Dalglish had been expected to take a holiday this week, but flew to the US instead to review the season with Henry and Werner.
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez and former boss Rafael Benitez have been installed as early favourites to fill the position.
Dalglish's exit follows the departure of director of football Damien Comolli and the club's head of sports medicine Peter Brukner in April.
Dalglish returned to manage the club for a second time in the wake of Roy Hodgson's departure in January 2011, initially on a caretaker basis until the end of the season.
After a strong finish to the season he was made permanent manager on 12 May 2011 on a three-year contract, but has been unable to carry that momentum into the new campaign.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
11 minutes -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
43 minutes -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
44 minutes -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
52 minutes -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
54 minutes -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
1 hour -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
1 hour -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
1 hour -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
1 hour -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
1 hour -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
2 hours -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
2 hours -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
2 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
2 hours