Audio By Carbonatix
A Kenyan court has ordered the exhumation of bodies suspected to belong to people who were starved and suffocated in the same county where hundreds of members of a doomsday cult were found dead two years ago, prosecutors said on Wednesday.
The bodies in the new case are believed to be buried in shallow graves on the outskirts of Malindi in southeastern Kenya's Kilifi County, and 11 suspects are being investigated, Kenya's Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions said on X.
"Investigators suspect multiple individuals were murdered through starvation and suffocation," it said.
"The victims may have been starved and suffocated as a result of adopting and promoting extreme religious ideologies."
More than 400 bodies were exhumed from the nearby Shakahola Forest in 2023 in one of the world's worst cult-related disasters in recent history.
In that case, prosecutors have alleged that cult leader Paul Mackenzie ordered his followers to starve themselves and their children to death so that they could go to heaven before the world ended.
Mackenzie, who faces charges of murder and terrorism, denies the accusations against him.
The prosecutor's office said people in the area of the recently-discovered graves had been unable to account for the whereabouts of several children, leading to suspicion of foul play.
The court ordered the exhumations to be followed by postmortem examinations, DNA testing and toxicological analysis, it said.
In April, Kenyan police also recovered two bodies and rescued 57 people who looked weak and frail from a church in the country's west.
Latest Stories
-
What should e-commerce sellers check before expanding into new markets?
29 minutes -
Minority calls for stronger human rights safeguards in Security Bill
31 minutes -
Two killed, 14 injured in accident on Ho–Aflao Highway
46 minutes -
Surveillance provisions in Security Bill ‘deeply troubling’ – Minority
57 minutes -
Security Bill risks politicisation and weak financial accountability – Minority
1 hour -
Churches to be monitored via digital registry – Local Gov’t Minister
1 hour -
Security Bill flawed; centralises excessive power in presidency – Minority
1 hour -
Pressure will mount on Gold Board model as BoG exits gold trade financing – Finance Prof
1 hour -
Accountability Forum calls for forensic audit in COCOBOD finance
1 hour -
UBA unveils diaspora platform to connect global Africans with investment, wealth opportunities
1 hour -
What the deadly Burkina Faso ambush says about our unfinished Agric Promises
1 hour -
Unity is panacea to retain party in government – Asiedu Nketia to NDC faithful
1 hour -
Gov’t skills training programme creates employment and income opportunities – Muntaka
1 hour -
Prioritise dignity over sensationalism in reporting on children – Media urged
1 hour -
COCOBOD’s financial woes linked to cocoa road contracts – Roads Minister Agbodza
2 hours
