Audio By Carbonatix
KGL has proven to be one of the strongest brands in Africa and on the right standing with the law, hence the difficulty in defeating them with sensational publications, Mr Philip Akonnor, a Freelance journalist, Fintech and Marketing student has said.
He therefore advised media outlets trying to run down fledging Ghanaian businesses to rethink and criticise constructively.
In a statement copied to the Ghana News Agency in Accra on Wednesday, Mr Akonnor wondered why the Fourth Estate would indulge in series of unsubstantiated reports on a brand that was gaining international recognition.
“The Fourth Estate, since the beginning of 2025, has been pushing an agenda against KGL.This has attracted the attention of some of us”.
He said the good thing was that majority of Ghanaians were losing interest in the series of publications from them against KGL because it had been about rehashing the same old story with twist of sensationalism with no evidence of corruption.
“If they are alleging that, KGL is generating GHS 3 billion revenue annually, the question any financial expert will ask is, what is the cost of KGL’s operations in terms of payments to winners of national lotto, cost of setting up and maintaining the I. T. infrastructure running the lottery product, cost of marketing, cost of technical fees to the mobile network operators etc”.?
The statement said while talking about revenue, and profit they should as well consider cost of operations as revenue is not the same as profit.
It said it was normal to receive correspondence from NCA and could not be considered as any breach.
“NCA writing to Telecos(Mobile Network Operators) to release KGL’s Transactions to NLA is nothing new, and can not be considered as a victory for Fourth Estate.
“This is the standard practice everywhere globally because the Mobile Network Operators are directly under the regulations of NCA, and as such cannot take instructions or directives from NLA.
“Therefore, it is very proper for NLA to rely on NCA, the regulator of the telecommunications industry to seek data from the Telecos. This process can not be deemed as suspicious and portray that the Telecos or KGL is hiding data from NLA”.
It said the majority of Ghanaians were disappointed with the way and manner they have been going about this NLA-KGL deal and want to believe it was a sponsored agenda to destroy KGL and not necessarily based on national interest of seeking value for money.
The statement wondered why they were now criticising KGL now and not in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024 as KGL was established in 2019.
“So far, the defense statements from Razak Kojo Opoku, the former Public Relations Manager of the National Lottery Authority(NLA) are considered superior to the arguments put forward by them.
“Mr. Razak’s arguments are based on data and facts, and so far they have not been able to discredit the data and facts from Razak, the former PR Manager of NLA and that is a major worry and concern to many people who have been following their works”.
“Logically, how on earth would you blame KGL for NLA’s inability to transfer money paid by KGL to the Authority into the Consolidated Fund.”?
It said KGL paid taxes to GRA and and have never seen any statement from GRA complaining or raising issues about KGL’s tax payments to the GRA.
It said all false allegations have backfired and that should convince Ghanaians that it was an agenda setting.
Latest Stories
-
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
2 hours -
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
3 hours -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
3 hours -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
4 hours -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
5 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
6 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
6 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
6 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
6 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
6 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
7 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
7 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
7 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
7 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
8 hours
