Two of many former government officials allegedly penciled for prosecutions have questioned the motive and integrity of Don Arthur, Chairman of the Assets Sub-Committee of the government’s transition team.
Hackman Owusu Agyemang, former Works and Housing Minister, as well as Maxwell Kofi Jumah, former Deputy Minister of Local Government are incensed with reports that they will soon be prosecuted for financial malfeasance while in office.
The May 18, 2009 edition of the Today Newspaper named the two amongst a host of other ex- government officials including Fisheries Minister Gladys Asmah, Chief of Staff, Kwadwo Mpiani, and the head of the Ghana @ 50 Secretariat, Wireku Brobbey as candidates for the dock.
The report according to the newspaper was part of recommendations made by the Don Arthur-led Sub-Committee on Executive Assets of the government transition team.
But the former government officials say such a report is not only mischievous, but smacks of people who do not know what they are about.
Mr. Kofi Jumah who is also MP for Asokwa told Joy News Dr. Don Arthur and his committee members are a “bunch of jokers.”
He has recommended them for prosecutions accusing them of “causing financial loss to the state.”
“If this is the kind the job they were paid to do then they have caused financial loss to the state.
“We shouldn’t waste our time over child’s play,” Hon Jumah said angrily.
He dared the government to begin prosecutions against him, stressing he is as “clean as Jesus Christ.”
In a separate interview with Citi FM, Mr. Owusu Agyemang said he was appalled that he should be included in a list for possible prosecution.
Describing both the alleged prosecutions and the report of the newspaper as “mischievous,” Mr. Owusu Agyemang said he had not appeared before any committee to answer any question of malfeasance and wondered how he could be prosecuted.
He insisted his hands are clean and his track record of achievements is there for all to see.
“I have never put my hands into public purse…I always do the right thing,” he said.
“I do not think Ghana’s law has degenerated into a situation where one will be slated for prosecutions without appearing before any committee.”
Whilst chiding the media for shoddy work, the Former Interior Minister has threatened to drag to the courts any body whose actions seek to malign him and destroy his reputation.
Story by Nathan Gadugah/Myjoyonline
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- BoG dollar auction: Demand outstrips supply by $72.2m as $1 hits ¢10.92
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- ‘Forget about votes; call Chairman Wontumi to account’ – Martin Kpebu to Akufo-Addo
- Livestream: PM Express business edition discusses impact of policy rate on businesses
- Gertrude Agyemang: Customer Service Week and the ECG prepaid meter challenge
- NDC has no evidence to prove my involvement in ‘galamsey’ – Ellembelle DCE
- KNUST students develop cost-effective instrument to measure temperature and light energy from the sun
- MP has been a challenge in fight against ‘galamsey’ in my district – Ellembelle DCE
- 2 women in court over alleged assault on Besease M/A JHS teacher
- Alberta Mortty: I love my breast; I love my life more
- Assistant headmaster of Mpatasie D/A dies in ‘galamsey’ pit
- 36 arrested in Ejisu for alleged network marketing scamming
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- #NoToGalamsey: Failure to deal with ‘galamsey’ could lead to street terrorism – Prof. Gatsi
- AngloGold Ashanti pleased with community support to ward off illegal miners from Obuasi concession
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Prosecute Chairman Wontumi, Charles Bissue, others neck-deep in galamsey – NDC to Akufo-Addo
- Cities and Habitats, Ecobank launch ‘Rent to Own Boafo) home ownership package