Audio By Carbonatix
The Public Relations Officer of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Kwame Frimpong, has denied it is not accepting National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) card bearers.
Some patients, who had initially received treatment at the hospital on certain diseases using the insurance scheme, were turned away when they went there for further treatment prompting accusations the hospital authorities were rejecting NHIS cards.
But Mr Frimpong told to host of Joy FM’s Super Morning Show: “It is erroneous for people to give the impression that we have reinstated that cash-and-carry system at the hospital."
According to him, the complainants were turned away because the hospital realised rather belatedly that the conditions for which they were treated were not covered under the scheme.
Mr Frimpong, explained that after the rectification, patients with tumor-related diseases were asked to pay for the service because they were no longer covered by the NHIS.
He insisted that the hospital would do nothing to undermine the scheme, adding that over 80 per cent of its revenue comes from the scheme.
“I will like to put on record that Komfo Anokye still accepts health insurance. We have not stopped completely treatment of National Health Insurance patients who come with valid cards.”
He said it was just last Friday that the attention of the hospital was drawn to the fact that aside breast and cervical cancer, the cost of all other cancers should be borne by the patient and not the scheme.
“What happened was that in the past we were treating certain conditions under the National Health Insurance, and our attention was drawn to it by the authority that those conditions are not included in the benefit package of the scheme, and therefore, we should not have treated those conditions and submitted the bills thereon to the authority for payment.”
Mr Frimpong said since then, a directive was given by the hospital authorities that “all those who are coming to the hospital with those conditions would have to pay cash for services rendered in respect of those medical conditions”.
Deputy Communications Manager of the NHIA, Eric Ametor-Quarmyne told Joy FM: “All accredited healthcare institutions which work with the National Health Insurance Scheme have been given what is our benefit package and what is our exclusion list. The exclusion list states that all cancer treatment, other than cervical and breast cancer are not covered.”
He said the erroneous claims by the hospital were detected by the consolidated claim processing center of the scheme in Accra.
“Unfortunately, they have been paid wrongly to conditions that they were not to present to us but which were presented to our scheme and got paid, but we will no longer continue to pay for these conditions any longer.”
Story by Isaac Essel/Myjoyonline.com/Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
1 hour -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
1 hour -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
2 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
2 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
2 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
2 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
2 hours -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
2 hours -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
2 hours -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
2 hours -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
2 hours