The Kumasi Central Market, described as the biggest open market in West Africa, has been ravaged by a second fire in eight months.
Luv FM's Erastus Asare Donkor reports that more than 100 shops have been levelled by the fire that started around 1:00 am Wednesday..
Goods worth millions of Ghana cedis have also been reduced to ashes by the blazing inferno.
"Devastated" shop owners and residents in the area looked on helplessly as the raging fire consumed their wares, Erastus said.
As at 4:30 am, personnel of the Ghana Fire Service had not arrived at the scene of the fire.
Although they have arrived at the scene, their firefighting efforts are being impeded by a lack of access to the burning shops.
Erastus reports that they have been able to douse some of the devastating flames.
In June last year, about 30 shops were razed down in a similar fire incident at the market.
Erastus says wailing shopowners are blaming Wednesday dawn's fire on faulty electrical wires.
Ghana Fire Service recommened a re-wiring of the entire market after the June 2013 fire, however, a trader who lost his shop to the fire says city authorities did not heed the advice.
- Fact-check: Did the NPP promise to build a harbour in Cape Coast?
- ‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
- ‘I never promised to build a harbour in Cape Coast’ – Akufo-Addo
- ‘God says we should sing a new song’ not plagiarise – Cindy Thompson to take legal actions against offenders
- A flimsy excuse should not be given for denial of a visa to MPs – Sam George calls out Netherlands Ambassador
- We’re investigating Shatta Wale’s shooting claims – Police
- I lied because people were associating me with politics – Cindy Thompson on ‘Awurade Kasa’
- Funny Face arrested after threatening to kill his baby mama and commit suicide
- Komenda Sugar Factory: Mahama constructed roof before building foundation – Akufo-Addo
- I no longer use a mobile phone – Kwabena Kwabena
FESPACO 2021: African film lovers come together in Ouagadougou
ECG installs smart prepaid meters at Agbogbloshie market
Government backtracks on ‘No Ghana Card, No Salary’ directive to public sector workers
Samuel Dowuona: Extra spectrum; bridging data capacity gap in Digital Ghana
Salah is extraordinary, says Simeone as his Atletico side prepare for Liverpool
Photos: Tema Central sewerage system collapse exposes residents to health hazard
ECG to disconnect GBC, Kumasi International Airport over debt
NBA preview: All you need to know ahead of the 75th anniversary season
Pastor whose prophesy triggered Shatta Wale’s fake shooting fiasco arrested
Kanye West officially changes his name to Ye
Forget Kanye West, he’s now officially ‘Ye’
Woman who butchered her 2-year-old son to undergo psychiatric examinations
Queen mother appeals to Akufo-Addo to make definite pronouncement on LGBTQ+
Wydad to play Hearts behind closed doors
Awako not happy at Hearts, I want to bring him back – Annor Walker