Audio By Carbonatix
Head of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Police Service has replied critics calling for her head following her handling of the case involving the three missing Takoradi girls.
Maame Tiwaa Addo-Danquah says her resignation will not automatically resolve the issue and bring back the girls.
Speaking at a programme organised by Commonwealth Africa in Accra Wednesday, she said her focus is working to “bring whatever situation that we have at a very conclusive stage not to waste your time thinking you want to resign or not.”
The girls, Ruth Quayson, Priscilla Blessing Bentum and Priscilla Koranchie are believed to have been kidnapped between August 2018 and January 2019.
On August 2, 2019, the police confirmed they retrieved human remains from a septic tank on a property previously occupied by the key suspect in the kidnapping of the three missing girls, Samuel Udoetuk-Wills. The skulls were retrieved at Kasaworodo a suburb of Takoradi following a search in the premises by the Police with the aid of sniffer dogs.The police through their investigations got the information that the girls were dead and were buried in the septic tank behind the accused person's house, a source said.
Following the discovery, there have been calls for the head of the CID boss after she told reporters “We know where the girls are,” at a news conference in Accra.
While confident of wrapping up the saga, she urged patience and assured the public “they are safe...very soon they will be brought back home.”
Then, families of the missing girls questioned why the police failed to disclose the information to them before going public.Weeks later, under-pressure Maame Tiwaa beat a retreat saying she was misunderstood when she announced the three missing girls had been located.
But in the latest rebuttal, Mama Tiwa said when it is time for her to leave, “I will leave because somebody was there [before] and I am here [today].”
She said her current “position is not one that I applied for” stressing one climbs the ranks by working hard and earning it.
According to her, but for the position of head of Legal and Prosecution that she cannot command because she is not a lawyer, “there are other schedules that I can go as the Commissioner of Police.”
“I don’t need to resign…resigning is like resigning from the Ghana Police Service…the position is not something that I have to resign and say I am no longer a Director General of the CID.
“It is like a posting or transfer, so I have to be transferred. When the time comes for me to be transferred, I will be transferred…maybe I will be taken to a different position,” she said.
Maame Tiwaa Addo-Danquah said when everyone “is calling for your resignation, the question you have to ask yourself is if leaving will solve the problem.”
Latest Stories
-
National Council Peace calls for calm amid rising political tensions
3 minutes -
Arrest to prosecute not persecute – Haruna Mohammed tells NDC government
4 minutes -
Bawumia urges NPP MPs to position party as “government-in-waiting” ahead of 2028 elections
4 minutes -
‘He sold his cow to repay debt’ – How headmistress forced ex-staff to return wrongly paid salary
10 minutes -
Non-performing loans expected to decline further as new banking guidelines take effect –Dr. Asiama
12 minutes -
Court documents filed by Joana Quaye challenge RNAQ’s ‘sole founder’ claim over Quick Credit
13 minutes -
John Boadu declares bid for NPP National Chairmanship after meeting Minority Caucus
24 minutes -
Ghana Immigration Service trains 40 officers ahead of E-Visa rollout
47 minutes -
MPC maintains policy rate at 14.0% after 130th meeting
49 minutes -
Sierra Leone receives first group of West African deportees from US
1 hour -
Meta CEO tells employees he does not expect more company-wide layoffs this year
1 hour -
Police officers who guarded Capitol sue to block Trump’s $1.8 billion ‘slush fund’
1 hour -
AETC President advocates energy and technology integration for a united Africa at 2026 conference
1 hour -
ISODEC rejects Ghana’s IMF PCI request, pushes for alternative economic strategy
1 hour -
Wontumi Trial: Ex Deputy Lands Minister says concessionaires were encouraged to reclaim degraded mining lands
2 hours