Audio By Carbonatix
National Food Buffer Stock Limited has said that it aims to remove the 60,000 maxi bags of excess rice grains left in the open, at the Fumbisi Rice Valley in the Busila South District of the Upper East region.
Hanan Abdul-Wahab, Chief executive Officer of the Stock said by the end of month the rice bags will be put them on the market for sale.
He told the host of Joy FM’s Super Morning Show Thursday that this “will be possible because buyers have expressed interest in purchasing the rice grains as a result of the exposure gained through a news coverage done by JoyNews.”

Mr Abdul-Wahab revealed that “licensed market buyers registered under the National Buffer Stock will purchase the grains and they will take them to the mills and continue the production of rice making it ready to supply.”
Rice farmers have been so far unable to find a market to sell their rice because the market is saturated with imported rice which is currently sold at relatively lower prices.
The CEO explained that the reason behind the farmers’ excess yield is that improved seeds were given to farmers rather than the traditional seeds. Thus, there was a greater yield this year.
Hanan Abdul-Wahab, Chief executive Officer of the Stock
He highlighted though “that a greater yield was expected and that’s why the One District One Factory (1D1F) policy was introduced to curb the anticipated challenge.”
However, there is still a significant lack of storage warehouses in the country and rice farmers are worried that their harvest will go to waste.
According to Mr Abdul-Wahab, so far seven warehouses have been completed under the 1D1F initiative and are ready to store excess rice grains.
Two other warehouses, are 95 per cent complete and will also soon store excess grains. He also added that the National Buffer Stock is committing to purchasing ¢50million worth of rice grains and maize this year.Latest Stories
-
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
2 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
6 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
13 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
13 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
19 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
32 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
34 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
40 minutes -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
47 minutes -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
49 minutes -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
52 minutes -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
53 minutes -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
55 minutes -
Delta Air Lines marks 20 years in Ghana, poised to offer travel options amid World Cup travel boom
59 minutes -
Turkish opposition fights court ousting of leaders in ruling boosting Erdoğan
1 hour