Audio By Carbonatix
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Food Buffer Stock Company Limited (NAFCO) says the government spent over GH¢2.7 billion on payment of food suppliers for the Free Senior High School policy between 2017 and 2022.
According to Hanan Abdul-Wahab, the amount covers the provision of 18 different food items to more than 700 Senior High Schools as well as technical, vocational and community development schools.
Mr Abdul-Wahab revealed this on Monday, August 21 while speaking at the Meet the Press series held by the Ministry of Information in Accra.
He outlined that in 2017, food suppliers received GH¢81.1 million, followed by GH¢296.2 million in 2018, and GH¢441.5 million in 2019.
The NAFCO CEO said the company paid GH¢467.9 million and GH¢692.2 million to the food suppliers in 2020 and 2021 respectively. He noted that the highest payment occurred in 2022, amounting to GH¢726.6 million.
Mr. Abdul-Wahab acknowledged that although there were outstanding payments owed to food suppliers for 2022, the government had already disbursed GH¢100 million on July 17, 2023.
He said that an additional GH¢80 million has been released but is yet to reach the suppliers' accounts.
Mr. Abdul-Wahab maintained that NAFCO is committed to ensuring food security, establishing guaranteed prices for farmers, stabilising local food prices and fostering the consumption of locally produced grains.
Latest Stories
-
Ebola outbreak poses massive challenges, warns nurse
42 minutes -
Bolivian minister’s convoy ambushed while overseeing roadblock clearance
1 hour -
One killed and many feared trapped under collapsed building in Philippines
1 hour -
Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran
2 hours -
Conte to leave Napoli a year after winning Serie A
2 hours -
Iraola signs off after writing new Bournemouth chapter
2 hours -
Fifi Folson marks 20 years on air with Thanksgiving Service, launches teen gospel initiative
2 hours -
The moment that broke Guardiola on day a decade of glory ended
2 hours -
Raducanu beaten in French Open first round
2 hours -
Sabalenka cuts media short as French Open players protest
2 hours -
Ghana’s Jada Yankey clocks new personal best at AP Race London International
3 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Berekum Chelsea end season on high with win over Bechem
3 hours -
Alleged shooting of chief’s brother by galamseyers triggers tension at Gwira Ampansie
3 hours -
Livestream: The Probe examines New Decentralisation Policy
4 hours -
Enterprise Insurance pays over GH¢280m in claims in 2025
4 hours