The trial of 14 persons suspected to have murdered the Dagbon King, Ya Na Yakubu Andani II opened in Accra on Tuesday with a new judge and jury.
All but one of the suspects were present in court and pleaded not guilty to the charge of conspiracy to commit murder in March 2002.
The absentee suspect, Zakaria Yakubu alias Zakaria Forest who is thought to be on the run, faces a charge of murder.
Those in court were Iddrisu Iddi aka Mbadugu, Alhaji Baba Abdulai (Samasaman), Kwame Alhassan, Mohammed Abdulai, Saeed Mohammed, Alhassan Mohammed, Mohammed Habib Tujani (ex-DCE for Yendi) and Alhassan Braimah.
The rest are Mohammed Mustaphsa, Saani Moro, Yakubu Issifu, Ahmed Abukari Yussif as well as Abdul razak Yussifu.
Some of the suspects told the court they could not speak or understand English, however, a translator engaged to help the situation was not proficient in Dagbani. Justice E.K. Ayebi, the new judge now sitting on the case after Justice Justice Anthony Oppong recused himself following protestations of having made prejudicial comments on the case by the Attorney General’s office, adjourned to enable clerks secure the services of a qualified translator.
A seven member jury was also sworn in and warned not to allow themselves to be influenced by anything outside the court. They must depend on their conscience and all evidence adduced during the trial.
They were also cautioned not to discuss the case outside or hold meetings on the case outside the court with anyone.
The case has been adjourned to 9th September, 2010.
Story: Yaa Asantewaa
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- Edmund Addo returns to Sheriff Tiraspol after botched summer transfer
- Chinese employer who allegedly slashed throat of Ghanaian employee to be arraigned today
- Elikem Asenath Naa Obiorkor Commey
- State TV off-air amid gunfire in Burkina Faso
- King Charles III: New coins featuring monarch’s portrait unveiled
- Africa’s biotechnology heroes celebrated on OFAB Day
- Queen Elizabeth II died of “old age” – Death certificate reveals
- Uganda gives green light to organ transplants
- Peace deal’ signed by Nigerian presidential rivals
- Mozambique police urges ‘knives and machetes’ war on jihadists
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 3 more people
- From Eric’s Diary: Why the deadline for SIM re-registration will be extended
- Cedi depreciation may force marginal increase in price of petrol, LPG from October 1, 2022
- Today’s front pages: Friday, September 30, 2022
- West African leaders in Mali over detained Ivorians