The 19-year-old boy standing trial for allegedly defiling a nine-year-old girl failed to turn up in court when the case was called last week, our correspondent has reported.
Central Regional Correspondent, Richard Kwadwo Nyarko reports that the suspect failed to appear court as scheduled last week despite repeated reminders by prosecutors.
“It was getting to midday when the parents of the suspect arrived in court with a message that the suspect went fishing and had not returned,” Richard said.
The state prosecutor told Richard she had been in touch with the suspect until two days before he was due in court.
After that, anytime she called the phone was off, and when she managed to get through, the suspect did not answer the phone.
The suspect is expected to re-appear in court on Wednesday, November 22, 2017.
His parents have been instructed by the court to produce him. Failure to do this will result in the issuance of an arrest warrant for him.
The nine-year-old was defiled in the Komenda Edina Eguafo Abirem District of the Central Region and was left to die after her intestines popped out.
The vulva of the girl also swelled as a result of the gruesome act which happened about three months ago.
Some female police officers shocked at the incident, together with some senior officers, raised money and took the child to the Central Regional Hospital where she is receiving treatment.
The only support system available to the victim at the time was the contribution she received from the police officers.
There are many of such cases in the Central Region. Click here to read the sad stories of how young girls are being taken advantage of in the country.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears
- Gov't urged to re-introduce Plant Breeders’ Bill to parliament
- Rebecca Foundation welcomes home first batch of exchange students
- Haatso residents fight GOIL over siting of fuel station
- Discharged Andah recounts multiple portions of blessings
- Scientists caution over calls for labelling of GMOs
- FIDO trains Kaneshie market women in Financial & Digital Literacy
- Women scientists must go into politics —Former Presidential Advisor
- Unity Air gets operation certificate
- MTN Ghana holds Customer Outreach Day
- UEW rolls out year-long programme to celebrate 25 years
- 2019 Budget: Finance Minister's 'completed recreational park' at Oda
- 1998 year group of APASS refurbishes school dining hall
- Photo of the week: The Bawumia reminder