Police are on a manhunt for three Nigerian men who kidnapped a Consular General and Head of Mission of Estonia in Accra on Thursday.
According to the Public Relations Officer of the Accra Police command, DSP Efia Tenge, 61-year-old Nabil Makram Bashbous was on his usual morning walk in his neighbourhood when he was abducted.
Narrating what happened Nabil Makram Basbous said on Thursday morning that about 10 minutes into the walk, a white Hyundai Elantra private car pulled up in front of him.
One of the occupants came out, pulled a pistol on him and ordered him to enter the car or risk being shot if he resists.
Mr Makram Basbous obliged, entered and was driven away with the kidnappers pointing a pistol and an axe at him.
According to Makram Basbous, he could not make out the location he was driven to but was detained in a room and held hostage for payment of ransom.
Meanwhile, the SWAT Unit of the Accra Regional Police Command picked up intelligence that some Nigerians residing at NTHC Estates, Vivian Farms in Lashibi in Accra, were engaging in suspicious activities.
They stayed home all day and only go out only at night, police intelligence revealed.
The police followed up on the intelligence and located the house, but their attempts to enter the house was met with resistance from the occupants.
In the process, all three occupants scaled over a fence wall at the back and escaped.
Mr Makram Basbous came out from one of the rooms, subsequently.
Police also found the car described by the victim in the kidnapping parked in the compound. A search in the vehicle found a pistol loaded with ammunition and two axes.
The vehicle has since been impounded and the case is still under investigation.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- ‘Galamsey’-induced water crisis spreads through Cape Coast
- Security Warehouse wins Outstanding Electronic Security Company in West Africa
- Church leaders must ensure security on church premises - Opuni-Frimpong
- Let's fight poverty not each other - Bawumia calls for peace in Chereponi
- 3 persons jailed for receiving stolen items
- Self-styled journalist charged for fraud
- UN chief deplores lack of civilian protection in armed conflict
- Freedom of worship is not complete in Ghana - Abotsi
- Let's develop national character for sustainable good governance - Rawlings
- MTN Heroes of Change Season 5 10 finalists named
- Photos: Careguide Montessori School marks AU Day
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead
- Ghanaian scientist, Prof. Torto awarded Agropolis Louis Malassis Prize
- The Odumase bill that has led to a kill