Patient caught sniffing cocaine in toilet

A female ulcer patient who decided to indulge in narcotic drug under the nose of hospital staff of Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) Hospital at Kwadaso, Kumasi, has been arrested by the police.

Aisha Fuseini, 26, resident of Tafo-Pankrono within the Kumasi metropolis who was undergoing treatment at the hospital for severe stomach ulcer, was caught in one of the hospital’s toilets sniffing whitish substance suspected to be cocaine.

Her supplier, a 36-year-old hunched-back Maxwell Dzikunu, has also been picked up by the police are both standing trial at the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) Circuit Court presided over by his Lordship Adjei Frimpong.

While Fuseini was charged on one count of attempting to use narcotic drug without authority, her accomplice, Dzikunu, was charged on two counts of supplying narcotic drug without lawful authority and attempting to use narcotic drug contrary to section five (5) of PNDC law 236/90.

Their pleas were not taken and they have since been remanded into prison custody to reappear on October.7, 2010 while the exhibits have been sent to Accra for forensic laboratory analysis.

Police prosecutor Inspector Asenso told the court on September 20 this year, while on admission at the hospital, Aisha was visited by Maxwell Dzikunu.

He said soon after Dzikunu left, the patient also left her bed and was later found in one of the toilets attempting to sniff the whitish substance.

The prosecutor told the court that when she was questioned about what the substance was, she could not give any explanation and mentioned Dzikunu as the one who supplied her with it.

The hospital staff quickly, alerted the security personnel at the entrance of the hospital who arrested her suspect and when he was searched, a wrapper of dried leaves suspected to be Indian hemp was found on him.

The authority called the Drug Law Enforcement Unit of the Ashanti Regional Police command who came in to pick the suspects.

Dzikunu also admitted to have supplied Fuseini with the whitish substance.

After investigation, they were accordingly processed for court last Thursday, September 23 where they were remanded into prison custody to reappear on October 7, 2010.

Source: The Spectator/Ghana