The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has charged the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) to prove allegations that the John Mahama-led administration inflated the cost of projects during its tenure.
General Secretary of the NPP, John Boadu, at a press conference in Accra on Sunday, chastised the former administration for mismanaging the economy and leaving it a Highly-Indebted Poor Country (HIPC), a reason it entered into a programme with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
He also alleged that the former president Mahama spent some unbudgeted GHȻ4 billion in a desperate attempt to win the 2012 election.
He mentioned the RLG laptops that were paid for but never got to the students as one of the needless expenditure the previous administration went into.
Mr Boadu added that in 2016, former president Mahama spent an additional GHȻ7 billion on capital expenditure that was not budgeted for on costly infrastructure, many of those with “inflated price tags that could not be seen today neither were they priority projects as stated.”
The Greater Accra Regional Hospital (Ridge Hospital) and the Kasoa Interchange Project were also mentioned as part of inflated projects by the Mahama-led administration. He also alleged that the previous administration spent $10 million on printing presidential diaries.
The press conference was held at the NDC’s headquarters in Accra
But the NDC at a press conference on Tuesday, challenged the NPP to provide proof that the cost of these projects was inflated.
National Communications Officer, Sammy Gyamfi said “today they are in government, they have the apparatus of state at their disposal. They have all the security and investigative bodies at their disposal.
“Where is the evidence that the Ridge Hospital Project was inflated? Where is the evidence that president Mahama spent $10 million in printing presidential diaries? Where is the evidence that the Kasoa Interchange, Kumasi Airport projects were inflated,” he questioned.
He added that if the purpose of government’s “lies” is so that Ghanaians retain them in power in the 2020 elections, then they are miscalculating because “Ghanaians are discerning.”
The NDC said the record of former president Mahama whom the NPP describes as a destroyer, stands tall in the country's history and Ghanaians will see through the deception of government.
He believes that in 2020, Ghanaians will vote for the 'redenominated' John Mahama, as described by the NPP, over a 'depreciated' and 'discredited' Akufo-Addo.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- ‘Freeing Aisha Huang indirectly ridicules our courts’ - Ambassador Gbeho
- Parliament recalled to pass Companies Bill
- SA xenophobic attackers must be prosecuted – Okudzeto urges int’l community
- Minority to trigger process for Osafo Maafo’s removal
- Collins Dauda reduced Parliament’s approved Saglemi contract – Atta-Akyea
- Gov't lacks strategic policy in dealing with China - Lecturer
- Deporting 'Galamsey Queen': Ablakwa spreads blame
- OccupyGhana 'highly disappointed' by Osafo-Maafo comments on Aisha Huang
- Politics is not religion… - Free Zones boss wants a paradigm shift
- Parliament postpones stakeholder engagement on Vigilante Bill
- 'I've never been against free SHS' – Mahama to Bawumia
- 'He is an Esau!'- NDC castigates Akufo-Addo for 'betraying' galamsey fight
- Politicians are like prostitutes claiming to be virgins – Man goes wild at business summit
- Mahama presents over 20 vehicles to NDC
- Hot Audio: Even without free SHS you couldn't deliver – Bawumia to Mahama