Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben has spoken of his regret at having missed a vital penalty in the Champions League final defeat to Chelsea on Saturday.
The Germans were handed a massive opportunity to regain control of the match in extra time after Didier Drogba had fouled Franck Ribery in the box, but Robben’s spot-kick was weak as Petr Cech dived to his left to save.
The Dutchman admits he is struggling to come to terms with not only the disappointment of Bayern failing to lift a fifth European Cup, but also the impact of his penalty miss, which he feels may have contributed to his side’s eventual downfall.
“I can’t describe how I feel with words, but it’s been a terrible night,” Robben said after the game.
“Two or three times you feel you have the cup in your hands [during the match] but at the end you stand with nothing.”
“It wasn’t a good penalty. I wanted to shoot the ball hard and high in the goal, but the ball didn’t go high enough.
“It was a terrible penalty kick. After that, I still played well but you have to change your mindset at that point [of the penalty miss].”
Robben also revealed that Drogba and Uefa president Michel Platini had sent their commiserations to him in the aftermath of the penalty shootout, which ended 4-3 in Chelsea’s favour.
“The fact that Drogba and Platini tried to cheer me up was nice, but it’s worth nothing,” Robben said. “I wanted that cup but it didn’t happen.”
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- NDC party has now become lame – Dan Abodakpi
- Second dose of Covid-19 vaccine can be taken 4 weeks after the deadline stated – GHS
- 8 more die of Covid-19, active cases now 1,334
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- Doctor withdraws notice to leave health centre after Bawumia donated equipment and supplies
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
More apprentices write COTVET exams in Bono Region
Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
‘A spit in the face of football lovers’ – Uefa boss condemns European Super League plans
GRIDCo releases excess fibre capacity to CSquared for broadband distribution
Amansie West MP initiates responsible mining program
My call to duty is worship – Wendy asserts in new song
Government to switch off analogue signal soon as CDTCL takes off
Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
Government assures local creditors of AirtelTigo arrangement to settle debt owed company
NASA makes history by flying a helicopter on Mars for the first time
We possess the ingenuity to oversee our economic restoration – Ofori-Atta tells staff
Herrera and Ozil among players slamming European Super League
Namibia asks gay parents to prove link to children
Film producer Alfred Agyapong ready to inject $150k into film industry
7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize